• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

where to look for beta readers in Mythic Scribes

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
Hi guys!
Sorry in advance if i'm missing something evident.

I remember to have seen in this forum a section where one could ask people to be beta readers for one's work.
Assuming i have not imagined it, where is the best section of the forum to do so?

Thank you in advance! :)

Ankari

Hero Breaker
There is a Critique Request subforum, but it's intended for shorter pieces (around 2,000 words). Also, there is a Review Request subforum. Again, that' seems to be specific to completed works seeking reviews.

Actual beta swapping/fulfillment doesn't exist and I'm not sure why. There are other sites that can get you a beta reader. Try Reddit's Beta Readers subforum.

As is the case with all free/voluntary services, the chances of a completed, professional beta responses may be hit-and-miss. Professional beta services should cost around $10 to $15 per every 10,000 words.

S J Lee

Inkling
I see people on Fiverr offering critique of your first 10K words at that price, but I cannot see what useful work could be put into it - assuming it took an hour at least to just read 10K words properly and intelligently instead of just skimming/speed reading, and then a few hours more to make any sort of useful comments and suggestions page-by-page, the cheap Fiverr critiques guys are working for WAY less than minimum wage ... or are just cutting and pasting canned responses? I doubt I could give more than a quick thumbs up / thumbs down in 15 dollars' worth of my time, myself... or am I missing something here?

Jericho Writers will give some fairly good and detailed feedback on your first 10K words + query letter + synopsis BUT that is way pricier - c 350 pounds sterling, takes 4 weeks for turnaround - though they are pros, and the Jericho site is a middleman. Maybe too pricey for some. They would charge up to 1000 Sterling to vet/critique a 100K word book. More than the average noob writer would make from the thing even if he could publish it ...?

Last edited: