• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where'd it go and will it come back?

YohannIan

Dreamer
Well, if your problem seems to be the lack of inspiration, I suggest viewing the world around you in a different perspective, just so that you can come up with ideas that were not there previously.

In my case, when I don't have the mood to write, I just wait until the magic comes back to me, or when I have the time. Sometimes it's very difficult to sit at your desk for days, with each hour spent at it being a productive one. For me, I have a lot of other things to focus on. So I guess in that way it gives me the breaks I need to ...'recharge' my inspiration and new ideas.

And it's stated somewhere in this thread by Anders that it's difficult to get out of a writer's block unless you have a change of environment. But it isn't everyday that you get to change your environment. So you could always look back in life for past experiences you could draw upon, or you could (like I said) view things differently, JUST SO that you can get the inspiration you need. Tv, books, internet, youtube, videogames, socializing are great too. These things develop you and give you a broader perspective, they give you more elements to play with. There were MANY things I could not see when I wrote stories for the first time when I was 15. Now, I know better and more.

So if you're not in a rush, take the time to relax, regain ideas, and develop in other ways. But don't sit on it for too long. View things differently, in a way that draws out the meaning in everyday events. You may not like/agree with those 'meanings' BUT some other person reading your book might. More importantly, if you realize, your CHARACTERS could be centred around those 'meanings'- they could come to stand for, or against it. This is a big bonus for character building and interaction.

The fastest way for me to get productive is to take out a piece of rough paper, turn on some epic soundtrack and start writing names, places and objects...connecting them...and then, the ideas start flowing. Oh, and I don't bother about how neat it is.

Remember the people who are going to read your story and those who are currently reading it. These are those who appreciate it, and have some kind of investment in it. Somewhere in this thread, someone said something along the lines that your readers (fans) can be a great motivation to keep you going.

Xanados

Maester
I just finished writing a three page piece. After having worked on it for so long I was blind to the simple mistakes present in the text. A friend read it and tore it apart. I was going to delete it in embarrassment, but I thought that I shouldn't. I knew that I shouldn't. It's better to have your work seen and critiqued no matter what. Even if I will not be writing the next part of it. (This is in reference to my latest Showcase posting)

At first I was angry. I let myself down. Apparently the beginning of the story (part one) was so much better. But then I calmed down and learned to accept the situation.

Just my thoughts.

topazfire

Minstrel
I find this thread really inspiring, especially knowing that everyone has a block or lapse at some point.

A couple of weeks ago I printed out and gave the first section of my novel (about 8000 words) to my writing buddy. She is also writing, so we get together and talk through ideas and loopholes. I have barely written 50 words since handing it to her. I don't know if it is because I am stalled due to not having it back yet, or something else. I can't even seem to move on to other parts of the novel and work on them.

Perhaps this is a good thing temporarily since I have a midterm on wednesday and a paper due at the end of the month... (part time uni student..) but it would be nice to feel motivated again.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

Ghost

Inkling
I never get the kind of writers block where I run out of ideas - I just kinda stop writing. It's really annoying because whenever I get online and ask for advice people keep giving me suggestions on how to come up with new ideas. I already have ideas, I just can't write them down. >_<

Man, I so relate to this. Ideas I have. I can't get rid of the things. It's like an infestation. Wonderful characters doing interesting things play in my mind like movies, but when it comes to writing...nothing happens. My enthusiasm for the ideas is still there, but the will to write evades me.

High expectations, fear of failure, and being overcritical seem to be my problems. It's like stage fright through the keyboard. I also thought depression had something to do with it since I stopped writing at a trying time, but who knows? It's been about seven years for me. (Cheers, Klee Shay.)

Anyway, enough negativity from me. I doubt my dry spell is related to Dark Huntress's two weeks without writing. Perhaps you're restless, Dark Huntress. I know I am at this time of year. It may be the most useless writing advice ever, but I recommend longs walk to clear your head and get out of the house. It can't hurt, anyway. If that's not your thing, try some other ways of energizing if you're restless or relaxing if you're stressed.

Without dropping a name, i remember a very famous author that had this same problem, he was well into his series, and he just lost it. he tried righting new series, he tried re-writting stuff, and eventually, he waited so long that people started writing short stories about his characters. It made his so mad, he not only got back into his original story, but he also wrote a series of BETTER short stories. So just do that. have a freind steal your characters and sully your good name by writing a bunch of bad stories with them. See if that works.

CMSikora

Acolyte
This happens to me all the time. You may just be burned out on the story you've been writing. For me, the pressure to finish just makes it worse. So, I've learned to keep a secondary project going, but I try not to get too far into it. My primary project always comes first.

I've read a lot of writers need something else to work on for whenever they get burned out on their current story. Try taking a break for the story you're working on. Allow yourself to plan something new and work on that for a month. Maybe two. That's usually how long it takes me to actually want to go back to my primary project after getting burned out. You may be different.

Good luck!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I agree with CMSikora 100%!! This also happens to me, especially because for several years I have been working on two different Fantasy series at the same time and this has caused me to get exhausted or "burned out" many times, and when it happens I just need to rest and take some time for my Writing Energy to be replenished...

You do not have any sort of writer's block, you just need to rest, Dark Huntress =)

I am like a climber trying to reach the summit of a huge and steep mountain, and sometimes I just have to rest for some time because I cannot climb with my legs broken and my hands destroyed by frostbite...

Duncan

Hey everyone I'm new here, but I have to agree with Slim, here. Read. I started doing nothing BUT writing about two years ago. Sure I spend a lot of time online networking and whatnot (but I goof off a lot too) Still, I manage about 3000 words a day when I'm not fine editing work already done. And all the while I read. I'm careful about what I read and when I'm in trouble, I always, without fail, break out the Norton Anthology of Something Something Literature. I read throughout the development/creation/writing process and doing so accomplishes a few things for me. 1. I see what devices successful authors are using. 2. I have a gauge for what to avoid if what I'm reading is new-ish 3. I get a feel for how to induce my characters to speak directly to the reader.
That 3rd one probably sounds a little odd so I will explain a little. I tend to get so far into the whole environment of the story that my characters sound "far away." Too far away to just be an technique of the genre and too far away to encourage any reader to "connect." Reading other author's work helps me keep their lives close to me readers'. Well I tried to explain it.