• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Which one to Start?

As a writter I want to write many different novels (what a surprise!) I have many different ideas I want to see come to fulfilment but there is one project that is my "crown jewel." It's the series I care most about and the one that I have devoted so much time and planning into. Here's my concern: I want people to read my books. What author doesn't? But I want my "big series" to be my forte as a published novelist. So do you think it would be a better idea if I publish my other "lesser" works first? I figure if they get published first then my name will be able to get out there and then my chances of my series getting more attention increases.

I am trying to not think in the mindset of, "How much money will this make me?" I really don't care about the money per say, more that I want a larger audience. I think everyone has that "one book" that they wrote, or dream of writting, where if you could only have one novel publsihed it would be that one. Well that's how it is with my series so I don't want it to end badly. I figure if people already liked my other works, then my fans (trying not to sound like I have a big ego here) would probably buy it. And also I would have some prior exp in the publishing business so I don't want to throw all my chips out if it's my first poker game (lame metaphor right?)

What are your thoughts?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Honestly, I wouldn't worry so much on the chronology of publication as much as I would worry about just getting published. It's a very tough & competitive business that most published authors can't even make a living doing.

I'd just take the finished story that you think is your best effort, polish it & put all your efforts on getting it published.

If you're not talking about a legacy publisher but instead you're talking about self-publishing then do whatever you think is best.

Either way though, I'd only release my best. Just don't put the cart before the horse.

I hope that's not discouraging. It's intended as only a very frank and honest reply.