• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Who else writes longhand?

Gurkhal

Auror
I only write longhand due to me not even learning how to write shorthand!

Didn't know that there would be any benefits to actually writting in longhand but I do think that it both improves my language by actually writting out the Words and writting them out correctly, as well as giving me time to think about what to write.

EDITED: And I don't generally like typing since my thoughts can go directly from my mind to my hands and down on the paper, but nothing close to it is possible with the computer.

Last edited:

teacup

Auror
My hand would fall off if I wrote that much in pen/pencil .-.

Definitely typing for me. I tend to be able to think better that way too, and there's being able to edit easily at will.
In my highschool coursework, it had to be written out by hand, so I typed it all up, finished it completely...then spent ages copying it out in pen :p

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
I alternate, and always have. Usually I'll start out writing by hand, like when I'm in class or at work, and then continue it onto the computer when I get home. Occasionally I'll reverse that, though, haha.

I did all of April's Camp NaNo on the computer, but I did all of November's NaNo by hand (then transferred it to the computer - hell of a lot of typing!)

I like both, really. I like the ease of editing on the computer, and how fast I can get everything done. But by hand, there's a tactile sensation that I enjoy. I like adding doodles in the margins, or going back and adding a note next to the margins (yes, I can do it on the computer, but in my notebook I can flip back a page, jot down the note, then flip back to my spot, and it feels different).

So yes, I write longhand (and shorthand; my abbreviations sometimes leave even me confused). Especially for my notes. But it depends on my mood and what's available to me.

My typing is slow enough that if I'm on a roll ideas would get lost if I tried to get it into final form directly into electrons. So an A5 block with pencil (and eraser) might leave paragraphs out, or put them in the wrong order, but gets them recorded, so they can't get lost. And when I transfer it into the computer it's put into order, disciplined.

I tried some dictation software, and the results were really surreal. Poet on acid stuff. I was expecting some corrections, but this was mind blowing; even comparing it with the notepad sometimes I couldn't work out which bit corresponded to which.