• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Why Did My Story Get Rejected

Corysaurus

Acolyte
Thanks for sharing! It seems to follow the same line of advice writers get -- make interesting characters and situations, pace correctly, and don't get too beat-up because of rejection. Simple stuff, but very valuable advice.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Thanks for sharing! It seems to follow the same line of advice writers get -- make interesting characters and situations, pace correctly, and don't get too beat-up because of rejection. Simple stuff, but very valuable advice.

Yeah, I think it is pretty straightforward stuff, but writers forget it sometimes. And I think it adds weight to the idea that story-telling trumps writing (which I think is absolutely true). As MZB notes, if you think the way to writing success is to develop technically impeccable writing skills, you're apt to be sorely disappointed. Not that it hurts to have those skills, but you can't neglect the more important aspects of fiction writing.

jakilgore

Acolyte
Very informative article. Overall, I liked the blunt honesty in which she explained that writing good stories and selling stories doesn't always go hand in hand. Like everything else, making money is the ultimate goal and we, (writers), need to be aware of that.

Lucas

Troubadour
My editor loved my story and even did help me with my query letter and synopsis for free.

It's the agents that don't love it... :(

That was an interesting read. And here all this time I figured your writing skills was the main thing that publishers looked at. I totally believe in my stories, always just worried the most that I have not written them well enough.