• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Wizard vs Wizard

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Well, Dumbledore would still have to get out of the way of Balefire attacks, it would still be a destructive weapon (I think) even if Dumbledore is not part of the world/system of Rand's world.

Apparition and Disapparition (teleporting) is like moving faster than light, perfect to escape from attacks coming your way. Transfiguration may be regarded as a childish type of Magic, but in fact it would be a scary and dangerous weapon in a Magical battle.

I am sure that a character with Transfiguration powers always has an advantage over a character that does not have that power.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I wouldn't be sure it would be possible for Dumbledore to transfigure Rand. The guy seems to be pretty immune to magic attacks, particularly as you get to the end of the series. With Callandor in hand, perhaps much more so. Honestly, as Rand is presented in the Wheel of Time series, I don't see a magical attack from another person killing him, or even having a substantial effect on him.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
That sounds like Rand is invincible within his own universe, but this is a battle against a type of reality-warping Magic from another universe that is completely different to the Magic of his world.

Dumbledore has a surprise factor with a Transfiguration attack, why not??

Also, in the little book about Quidditch it is explained that the Wizards can turn fire into a harmless state very easily with a simple spell, so that it just tickles you instead of burning. Most likely the same can be done to lightning bolts, and this could be the reason why elemental attacks are not used in the HP universe.

danr62

Sage
Why would Dumbledore be immune to balefire? If I recall, it wipes you out as if you never existed. How does coming from a different world make you immune to that?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I think that a Balefire attack would destroy Dumbledore if he gets hit, but it would not burn his existence backwards or whatever because that is related to the type of world/system where the WoT series takes place: Their reality system depends on threads or something, so it can get unraveled.

Dumbledore can teleport to get out of the way of Rand's attacks anyway, and Transfigure him to end the battle quickly =)

Also, Balefire could be countered by the Harry Potter world's own all-destroying super weapon: Fiendfyre.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Warlock: Who is Kal Tor'ih??

In case that is a character of your own creation, we have not decided to let our own characters enter the battles of Wizard vs Wizard. Maybe later, if this thread continues to draw attention and participation from other people in our community.

Welcome to Mythic Scribes =)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Why Fiendfyre is so cool!!

Well, the movie version of Fiendfyre was very nice but it was more dramatic in the book... basically it's a sentient, living form of cursed fire that destroys anything, even powerfully magical objects that cannot be destroyed in other ways.

This thing goes after its victims intent upon killing them, taking the form of unnaturally large and vicious flames and also a variety of monsters made of the same cursed fire.

Fiendfyre causes a firestorm of unbelievable rage really fast, the heat and smoke are unbearable and it's considered too dangerous to be used, maybe because it keeps spreading out of control if the Wizard who casts it is not skilled enough to master it.

A super Wizard like Dumbledore could take control of a Fiendfyre storm... just imagine that in battle!!

Shockley

Maester
I would just like to say that while I think the Lady would basically destroy this competition (and Dominator would even beat her), the best wizard is Rincewind. Easily, easily Rincewind. He wouldn't win by powers, but he'd win.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
After reading the Wikipedia article about Rincewind it seems to me that he is a great character... however, Wizard vs Wizard is about magical battles and it's not the place for someone like him.

I have heard that some of the Discworld characters are enormously over-powered for comedy reasons, so maybe one of them could defeat The Lady if all the others fail!!

After very little interest was shown for the Dumbledore vs Rand match, we can say that Dumbledore has won it with a surprising Transfiguration attack, so that's 1 for Dumbledore and 0 for Rand. Maybe even the most powerful and destructive characters can be defeated that way, because most of them do not have Transfiguration in their worlds...

I would like to see Quick Ben vs The Lady next, what do you think??

Shockley

Maester
I think it would be the perfect place, if only because it throws the competition completely on-end - some people win because they're overpowered, Rincewind could do it because he's hilariously underpowered.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Quick Ben would take out a lot of wizards from other settings, but I don't see him taking down the Lady. He's smart, and usually has an escape ready when he's in over his head, so he might well be able to get away from her and keep her from ending him, but I don't think he could take her down.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Steerpike, could you please provide a description of the Malazan world's Magic system and Quick Ben's magical capabilities??

I already know that the Lady can fly on a carpet, throw huge magical blasts and lay waste to continents, now... What about Quick Ben? I am curious to know more about the defensive talents of the Lady, and what would Quick Ben try to take her down or at least hold his own against her.

Any physical description of the Lady?