• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Word-count per chapter: is there a range we should stick to?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Good to know. As Dever is going through my first couple chapters, I'm reconsidering my position on my 10,000-word chapter.

I'm sorry for the delay, it's not a testament to your writing (although possibly to reading a novel on the Preview page of a website). My son, Gabriel, is just six weeks old and has trouble giving me more than five minutes at a time to do anything. Add to it that I'm finally starting to catch up on six weeks of sleep deprivation, I feel amazed I can function at all.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Yes, newborn = goodbye, free time + more than enough joy to make up for the lack of free time

I have a PDF version. PM me if you're interested.

There are multiple positions on the topic. Some authors/publishers like short chapters because if the next chapter is only a few pages long the reader is more likely to keep reading. Others like to go as long as possible between chapter breaks because it will give the reader fewer chances to put the book down. In my opinion a chapter should reach some sort of resolution, whether that takes half a page or fifty, it doesn't matter (to me).

I am going to have to agree here. The chapter should lead somewhere. A 10,000 word chapter would seem to me like the author had no clear, impactful events occuring. You can also name parts, with several chapters each.

An example here would be PART 1: First Day on the Job. Chapter one: 'Til Breakfast.

It so happens that a number of long standing traditions are in place for typically solid reasons. I think this is amongst them. Reading should be a joy, not a practice of onerous things , at least as far as I am concerned.