• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Working on two (or more) projects at once?

What I forgot to say (above) is that I tend to work on numerous projects at once...UNTIL something suddenly generates enough momentum to make me concentrate on that one project and see it through...if not to the end, then to some significant point.

I find that when I reach that point the writing is pure ecstasy and it is really hard to stop. I absolutely live in that world until the story is finished and then I'm left flat, empty and down for weeks...post novel depression.

Robert Donnell

Minstrel
I have several books in progress. I beleive that it helps to back off a bit, you can get too close to a book. A more remote prespective can locate/eliminate plot problems that one may not see if you are looking at grammar.

I got many

One is my potential masterpiece
another is potential for a contest
and a lot more
The main thing I'm looking for is what story can be my first

Eeirail

Scribe
As of right now, I am maping out more charecters to show up, desert creatures for the next few chapters, writing the chapters before this next few chapter, the Kourox [Sand people] and a side story for a template for an online contest I plan to win again... Or at least try. So do I multitask? Yes, I do.

SeverinR

Vala
Working on multiple items makes it less concerning if one of the works gets stuck, it gets pushed aside, neglected, while the other workable projects keep going. I might be able to work out the problem or it might be left in eternal limbo.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

The pushed aside piece is not a failure, it just was not a piece that could be finished at this time. Even if never completed it helped to further my experience in writing. If you write seriously, nothing is wasted.

I would recommend good notes though, just in case you come back months or years later, to help remember who's who.

If you think of a good story line, but are tied up with to many works in progress, write the quick description and store it away for that day when nothing seems to work on the other projects.