• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Wounding someone with a red-hot blade

TheKillerBs

Maester
Good to know. It won't be a problem in my story, though; the iron poisoning I mentioned above is a much worse issue that kills the wounded Fae in a matter of minutes. None of them are lucky enough to have an antidote on hand when they're injured.

How does the iron poisoning work and how does the Fae kidnapper avoid it? I'm assuming the frying pan to the face doesn't poison him, since you are saying none of them have an antidote on hand when they're injured.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
How does the iron poisoning work and how does the Fae kidnapper avoid it? I'm assuming the frying pan to the face doesn't poison him, since you are saying none of them have an antidote on hand when they're injured.

Iron is anathema to the Fae. It's uncomfortable to be around, burns their skin as described above, and it's deadly when it gets into their bloodstream. Stab wounds with iron or steel knives, or even pricks with steel pins that break skin are sufficient to poison a Fae. Bashing wounds like the aforesaid frying pan don't do more than burn. If Ariel had stabbed him with a pin or a nail, then he'd be toast. And that would break my story. XD

DMThaane

Sage
What about iron power? Would that be enough to burn and poison as they breathed it in or it fell on their skin or does it need a certain concentration? I'd assume the iron in human blood somehow isn't a danger or else he'd be risking a very unpleasant wedding night.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
What about iron power? Would that be enough to burn and poison as they breathed it in or it fell on their skin or does it need a certain concentration? I'd assume the iron in human blood somehow isn't a danger or else he'd be risking a very unpleasant wedding night.

Iron powder would be uncomfortable too, but I haven't worked out how much. I imagine it's still less practical than simply stabbing a Fae with a knife. The iron content in blood just makes Fae ill, and if they happen to ingest it it makes them vomit. Exposure to it via sex isn't a problem; human/Fae couples are quite common, and if it were an issue I'm sure they would have stopped by now. XD

The one exception (mostly) to this is Redcaps, whose enchanted caps allow them to handle iron and even wear it without a qualm -- as long as they wear their caps. Take it off, and they're as hurt by iron as any other Fae. Redcaps are also less affected as other Fae by the iron in human blood, since that's what they use to dye their caps in the first place.

Hi,

Odd question - do they not eat red meat since the red blood is full of iron? Liver /spleen would be even worse.

Cheers, Greg.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Hi,

Odd question - do they not eat red meat since the red blood is full of iron? Liver /spleen would be even worse.

Cheers, Greg.

Some do, some don't. There are some Fae who actually survive on blood alone, like Baobhan Sith. (Which I guess I should've mentioned above under exceptions, but it just occurred to me.) In any case, I imagine they do all they can to take the blood out of their meat before they eat it. Cooking would probably fix it to an extent.