• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writer's Tools

WyrdMystic

Inkling
Got to say I like Scrivener too - especially as you can have the corkboard and a piece of text up at the same time, so you can edit your work whilst looking at the outline.

You can also set tags like character names so you know who appears where and search for them so can you track through every instance of the character to make sure its consistant.

SeverinR

Vala
Now I have a working computer, I need to organize my resources so I can find them quickly. Would be nice to have the emotion or setting thesaurus a click away.

srcroft

Minstrel
Google Drive

I love Google Drive! If you ever have to work with another person, sharing on Google Drive makes life way easier.

Yes, I find it severely valuable with editing and keeping my novel with me at all times. Also now that I have my beautiful new imac I use pages. The formatting is so much nicer than word, but very similar in function. Sometimes esthetics can go a long way to making you productive.

Nihal

Vala
Since no one said a thing about this software yet...

I use Evernote, it's like a notebook and can be used as a tool for writing-related research or just a organizer for everyday use. It comes with a bunch of features - I'm sure I don't use half of them - and have a free and a premium plan. All I need from it is available at the free plan.

You can use links and paste images directly onto your notes, search their contents, style the text to some degree, use checkboxes and create tables - but the tables support isn't really good. You can group the notes in notebooks and notebooks in stacks. You can created syncronized notebooks that can be accessed anywere across the internet using your account, or local notebooks.

There is an app for phones and I managed to use it as a portable for PCs too, just copy the installed folder to a pendrive and it's done.

The downside that really bothers me is that you can't manually determine in which order your notes and notebooks appear. There are the classical options as alphabetical and such, but you can't drag and drop them to the desired order.

Since no one said a thing about this software yet...

I use Evernote, it's like a notebook and can be used as a tool for writing-related research or just a organizer for everyday use. It comes with a bunch of features - I'm sure I don't use half of them - and have a free and a premium plan. All I need from it is available at the free plan.

You can use links and paste images directly onto your notes, search their contents, style the text to some degree, use checkboxes and create tables - but the tables support isn't really good. You can group the notes in notebooks and notebooks in stacks. You can created syncronized notebooks that can be accessed anywere across the internet using your account, or local notebooks.

There is an app for phones and I managed to use it as a portable for PCs too, just copy the installed folder to a pendrive and it's done.

The downside that really bothers me is that you can't manually determine in which order your notes and notebooks appear. There are the classical options as alphabetical and such, but you can't drag and drop them to the desired order.

I've never heard of that before. Here is a relevant article comparing it to OneNote: Evernote vs. OneNote: Note-Taking Apps Showdown | TechHive