• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing too Fast? Anyone else having this issue?

I'm worried that I'm writing too fast, not speed wise but in the terms of progression. I have my plot and all pretty much ironed out so in bulk I pretty much know whats going to happen. My issue is that I often find myself having to stop and take a deep breath and step away a moment because I feel like I'm progressing through the plot too fast. Anyone else have is this issue and any tips on trying to work through it?

Nebuchadnezzar

Troubadour
I wish I could help but I have the opposite problem -- my stories swell up with too many pointless digressions and unnecessary scenes, so I end up having to cut massive chunks of text to move things forward.

With that in mind, my only thought is that perhaps you are being too ruthless in your cutting? Perhaps there is an opportunity for you to let the reader stop and smell the roses a bit. Maybe you're cutting too much description or too much interesting backstory?

Sorry, flailing a little bit with this one, but would actually be very curious to know how you are in this position so I can maybe learn how to get there myself!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I would say your plot moving too fast and knowing where it's going are good things, especially for a first draft. If you can get all the skeleton of your story down, you can always use the editing phase to pump up your scenes or add sub-plots or whatever you need. I think Nebuchandnezzar's problem is a bit more difficult, because if you are writing a story that has too many extra things and diversions it can get bloated and take your novel off track. So for me anyway, it's always better to at least know where your story is going and get it down, then go back and add more layers later on.

I genuinely feel like my greatest flaw is that I'm too close to my story. I'm writing it as if I've lived it. I am or know my characters inside and out. Their looks, their voices, their movements, even how they smell. So in a sense I'm writing this story like a movie memory that I've seen. I like the "Stop and smell the roses" approach and you're absolutely right! it made me think of the setting and all as well and it's the most beautiful place- I NEED to convey that to the reader.
I want to keep the reader interested. WAIT- that's a lie... I want to make the reader see what I see and feel what I feel for these characters in this world, but at the same time I don't want to bore anyone.

Thanks for your reply it's very helpful- if you have questions I'm always available here.

Is this a first draft problem? Because if so, then as you go back there is probably plenty that you can add in terms of details and setting up scenes and interesting other scenes

Subcreator

Minstrel
I genuinely feel like my greatest flaw is that I'm too close to my story.

I think that's a problem most of us have, in some way or another. With me, if I write it too fast, I end up not liking what happened, and start over. That's how I went through three completely different versions of my book. If you end up having your story finish at, say, 25,000 words, read it through...or better yet, have someone else read it through...and decide, "Can this be expanded? Should it be? Is it good as a novella?"

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I'm worried that I'm writing too fast, not speed wise but in the terms of progression. I have my plot and all pretty much ironed out so in bulk I pretty much know whats going to happen. My issue is that I often find myself having to stop and take a deep breath and step away a moment because I feel like I'm progressing through the plot too fast. Anyone else have is this issue and any tips on trying to work through it?

I've noticed that I do this myself.

The trick, in my case, is to concentrate on the elements of establishing tension in a scene:

1. Clearly define the protagonist's goal
2. Create opposition to the goal
3. Raise the stakes if the goal isn't achieve/Ramp up desire for achieving the goal
4. Increase opposition

If you concentrate on these at the scene level and flow from scene to scene, it'll make the scenes complete and pretty much take care of the problem of rushing through them.

I appreciate everyone's comments so much. I wasn't looking at the aspect of writing and then going back to add into the story more. I feel more confident in what I'm doing now, and knowing that it's normal to rewrite, add in , or eve start over in my writing makes me feel much better. Thanks again so much!!

Iamfenian

Closed Account
I have written almost 10,000 words in just a few days and know I will have to go back and change things. I wouldn't worry about your pace it's the editting that's more important. :D