• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing your own language?

Max Cooper

Dreamer
The only advantage of a new language, unless you really love doing that sort of thing, is it might help build the cultures and the world. The elves in LOTRs have a flowing language, the dwarves a harsh one. It gave the nations uniqueness.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
This is exactly the thread I need right now. I'm working out the basics of an invented language for the protagonists of a new project, and I could use some help along the way. I don't plan on using the language much for anything besides names of people and places, but I figured it would be good to have at least a consistent set of phonemes and basic grammatical rules to work with.

Addison

Auror
It depends, in my opinion, on the character. Let's say he/she over hears someone speaking a different language. You don't have to write out the words he/she hears: "Ee'tah m'unih ahka." You can describe the language. "It was throaty and clicked off the tongue as their mouths twitched and pulled to enunciate." Things like this tend to be only as complicated as you want to make them.