• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

You guessed it, I'm new here

drkpyn

Scribe
Hello everyone! I happened across this site by chance while using Google to find resources for aspiring fantasy writers. I spent a little bit of time browsing the forums and thought this would be a good community to join and learn a lot from. My current project, and first attempt at serious writing, is a novel which is currently at 12,000 words.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome to the community!

Tell us a little about your current project. Do you already have it planned out, or are you creating the storyline as you go?

BD

drkpyn

Scribe
I have a rough idea about the storyline, but so far I've discovered that I create much better material by just letting the story take me where it will.

The story takes place in a world where each person has a particular quality or character trait they believe to be most important and by which they judge all other people. Some of the traits used in the story are bravery, loyalty, cunning, deviance, appearance, speed, humor, fame, etc. Each trait is embodied into an animal companion which is connected to the owner's emotions. For example, loyalty is embodied by a dog, deviance by a raccoon, etc.

The plot centers on a ragtag group of teens who accidentally get caught up in a disgruntled noble's attempt to usurp the throne. It is told from alternating points of view, switching between the teens and the noble. The parts which follow the teens have more dialogue and humor while the parts following the noble have many internal monologues, flashbacks, and drama.

Edit: I just posted the first chapter in the showcase forum. Feel free to check it out.

Last edited:
Welcome drkpyn! I'll check out your post. The concept sounds really interesting. I hope you have a lot of fun here - even though at times we seem to border on insanity. :)