• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your Writing Station

I have a laptop, a little Dell, and Scrivener's beta for Windows (the full release is due out this month, I think. The Mac version has been around for a couple of years, and I believe a Linux version is also in development.) I am so spoiled. Pen and notebook just hardly work for me anymore. :)

The laptop-on-the-lap thing was hard on both computer and me, as I usually just sit on my couch, so I bought a little lapdesk for about $12 in some department store. It lets the computer fan do its job and gives my wrists a decent angle.

Sevvie

Dreamer
I used to use my desktop, until it started to fail on me. So now that my data isn't safe on this system any more, I use my dad's laptop that he isn't using. When I'm back in Australia I have a beast machine waiting for me to write on ;)

I hope to one day get a laptop of my own, because I enjoy knowing my writing is mobile then. ^^

Lavender

Minstrel
A few years ago when I first started my novel, I used a desktop computer. I then got a latop and decided it would be much more comfortable to write on my bed. (I suffered lots of backache sitting for hours in a chair!)
I've since bought another laptop and am still sitting on my bed, using a tray with beanbag filling on the underside. The laptop tends to overheat so I keep the laptop placed so the fan on the underside is not blocked by the tray and use the edge of the tray for items such as my phone and my blue glass 70's style ashtray and rolling tobacco. I smoke an inordinate amount when writing (I'm planning to give up, however!)

Misusscarlet

Minstrel
I have a laptop, but whenever I try to write I get some blockage, all the blinking lights on the laptop, finished download notices, random noises. I write while I am at work on a 20 cent notebook, sticky pads for random notes that I stick on a page I might need to go back to and of course the trusty ballpoint black pen with a comfort grip. I enjoy writing while at work, due to the fact that I work graveyard and there is no soul around to watch me giggle and twitch with glee while I scribble away. I also sadly can not type as fast as I think, even after typing classes bah! So I scratch it down, it may be sloppy handwriting, but I remember everything I read and write. I am very proud of that skill :).

Allyssianne

Dreamer
I mainly use my laptop for writing, especially for storing the pieces I've written. I'm really bad at keeping all my bits of paper together. Unfortunately, since I spend 8-12 hours at school everyday and 6 hours on a Saturday, (stupid French education system), pen and paper seems to be my best friend. This leads to me spending hours during school holidays typing up the 20+ pages I manage to write between them. I use everything and anything I can get my hands on to write on normally: loose leaf, post-it notes for things I need to remember to add/write about, my class folders, notebooks... My pens change depending on my mood though: brightly coloured when I'm on a sugar high, (the only way to get through my classes), ballpoint black on the train, badly smudged blue fountain pen when I'm writing in class and trying not to let on to the teacher that I'm not actually taking notes, and black ink the rest of the time.

As for my workstation at home, It's kinda cluttered with notes, homework, school books, post-its reminding me to do things, (I get distracted too easily and never remember to do things my parents have asked me to), as well as being littered with chocolate bar wrappers and crisp packets from when I'm writing at 4 in the morning and get a wicked case of the munchies. For some odd reason, there's also a sizable pile of dog biscuits... I have no idea why, apart from the fact that I have a dog, but he never comes up here since the day he tried to 'type' on my laptop and deleted 30 000 words from my story.

Xanados

Maester
I, believe it or not, use a high powered gaming PC. I'm a gamer. My desk is decorated with LOTR Trilogy Special Edition Box Sets and books. I have a few fantasy posters for inspiration, too. Oh, I've also just recently nailed up a board right above my desk area where I can pin down peices of paper. It's being used for the world I'm building.

I need a new smaller laptop, this one is getting slow and clunky, I've had it for nearly 3 years. but it still serves well enough I suppose. whenever I'm near my laptop I'll write notes in note pad and save them to my writing folder, I draw maps by hand and scan them and I sometimes write notes in my notebook if I'm not near my laptop.

Shadoe

Sage
I have a laptop that moves from room to room with me. It's one of the bigger laptops, though, that's not actually intended to be portable. I refuse to lug it through airports anymore. I also have one of those tiny little computers - a netbook - that I use when I travel. I keep all my writing files on a microdrive so I can swap computers at will. I always keep a notebook with me too, because you never know when a good idea will pop up.

iskavele

Acolyte
I use my labtop and keep pen and paper next to me when trying to write or come up with ideas for my story. Most of the time i will use the pen and paper for either idea's, world building, and rough drafts. Then i type it to see how the story looks(bad handwriting). Idk thats the system i came up with.

EParadise

Scribe
I have both desktop and laptop. Prefer the laptop for portability. Sometimes finding a quiet happy place gets difficult.

Emeria

Scribe
For when I am out and about, I always keep a notebook and pen (or pencil) handy. The composition notebook I'm currently using, I bought for less than a couple dollars and it has nice graph-ruled paper, which is good because I write notoriously small.

When I am not doing other stuff, I have an older laptop computer that I set up at the kitchen table. It's about five years old and the battery is pretty bad, so I need to keep it plugged into the wall. I have a portable mouse that I attach and it connects to the internet (though I often turn the internet off while I'm writing). Most of what I do is in Open Office Writer and Paint (for maps). When I do serious writing, I need to be at a keyboard, as I write with my eyes closed so I can see the world better.

I also currently keep a lot of foodstuffs around my laptop, including usually having a (sealable) mug with tea.

For me? I cant help but use pen and paper. I often scrub things out and like jotting out mind-map type things and I've never got on with mind-mapping software. I also get a bit OCD about leaving things I dislike in a word doc (or similar) just in-case I come back to it. Once Ive worked out roughly what I want to write and have the basics, I transfer to the laptop (the worlds greatest invention, although it tends to get too hot to actually use on my lap) to write it up and flesh it out. My main problem is that I lose concentration easily on the laptop and cant look at the screen too long, whereas with the pen and paper I can write solidly for hours. I also just like to watch the pen flash across the page and see my spidery writing on it - theres something almost magical about it ha ha.

db

Metalfist

Dreamer
I used to also use a gaming PC in conjunction with pencil and paper. I now use paper along with a laptop. It allows me to roam to different areas of the house as I see fit, and I usually play an MMORPG while I write. Up to this point I'm still a short story writer and have the luxury of not having to maintain long lists of characters and complex plotlines.

Xavorn

Minstrel
Hello,

So far I have been using my old PC to write, but anytime soon I'm going to write with my new laptop as well. The place where one should take it and go write doesn't have to as silent as possible, as long as inspiration flows on.

-Xavorn

Elishimar

Dreamer
I LOVE taking my laptop on the metro rail in DC. I have an hour commute each way everyday, so I actually get quite a bit done while riding the train. I also have to be listening to music usually so the head phones come along for the trip. When I am back at the apartment, I am usually in my bed, and it actually isn't that comfortable for writing, so I do research and browse the forums. If I am really into writing while I am at home, I sit in the lazy boy and type away with the TV on.

Qfantasy

Dreamer
I use a desktop mostly but occasionally use a laptop if I fancy a change of scenery or I'm struggling to get comfortable for some reason. My ideal writing conditions are at night and in solitude. Music helps too, different music depending on the scene I am writing. I put headphones on to completely immerse myself in what I'm writing. :)

Nyx

Scribe
I'm on the other side of the fence in that I prefer a desktop. I am on my second failing laptop, both have been Sony Vaio's that have always been on my desk with an external fan under them. I always write at my desk which is in the living room right by the window. I keep my notebooks and "snack stash" there too. I always have to have Japanese Anime music on for my current project.

Usually I write on my laptop and reserve the desktop for gaming and mapmaking. Here lately, though, the muse has only responded to pen and paper. I go through more pens and notebooks than my schoolage kids.

Ellian

Shadoe

Sage
I just got a new iPad with a keyboard case. (Though the case is Really Heavy - I may have to get a different one.) Now I'm shopping for an app that will let me write. I tried out a couple of them that have handwriting apps, but I don't think the ones I looked at are going to work. What I really need is something like Notepad or Word. Anyone know of anything suitable for the iPad?