• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What music do you like? Favorite song?

Torby

Dreamer
I've always been interested to know if music can tell yoiu something about someone so far the answer NO.

It doesn't matter what you who you are your interal beat is what music you like. i really like a strong beat so i go for heavy metal and motown.

My favorite song of all time is "Iheard it through the grapevine" by motown legend Marvin Gaye.:D

Man I like most everything Metaica (old not the sell out stuff) Bon Jovi, Bubble Gum pop is my Kryptonite Always makes me smile!
80's music can't be beat in my book Walkin on sunshine was and still is one of my all time favs.
Fem Rock A la Lillith fair Love it!
But I can't stand RAP or half the stuff that is out there with Sex, drugs, and murder in them (as a good thing)... Just not cool.
:(

I also collect tunes from around the world, Can't understand half of 'em but they are niffty. Thus my play list reads like a sample of phone books from around the globe. LOL. When ever I am able I look up the english translations for the lyrics and I have yet to find a song that I like and have it translate to something I find clashing with my moral compass.

Here of late I have been digging the older styles of Dylan etc.
Theres a song out that I love by Pete Yorn called lose you, it always gives me pause for reflection. Which is good when working hard on a novel because it helps one tap into deeper understanding. (at least I think so)

Last edited:

Leuco

Troubadour
Have you heard Marvin Gaye's national anthem performed at the 1983 NBA All Star game? That was classic. :)

I listen to a lot of 80's, 90's alternative rock, but I like anything catchy. Even jingles. My favorite music has distorted guitars and pulse-pounding drums. My favorites include the Smiths (Pete Yorn has done some good covers of their songs by the way), the Chemical Brothers, and My Bloody Valentine. My new favorite song though, one I absolutely can't stop listening to, is the radio sessions version of Arms Out by Curve. It's an old song, but I only recently found it on youtube. Too bad the record's out of print.

Other favorites include Lost in the Plot by the Dears (apt for writing, isnt't it?) and the older, live version of Metric's Black Sheep (previously known as Freddie). It was in that Scott Pilgrim vs the World movie-- which I still haven't seen.

Last edited:

Xanados

Maester
Have you heard Marvin Gaye's national anthem performed at the 1983 NBA All Star game? That was classic. :)

I listen to a lot of 80's, 90's alternative rock, but I like anything catchy. Even jingles. My favorite music has distorted guitars and pulse-pounding drums. My favorites include the Smiths (Pete Yorn has done some good covers of their songs by the way), the Chemical Brothers, and My Bloody Valentine. My new favorite song though, one I absolutely can't stop listening to, is the radio sessions version of Arms Out by Curve. It's an old song, but I only recently found it on youtube. Too bad the record's out of print.

Other favorites include Lost in the Plot by the Dears (apt for writing, isnt't it?) and the older, live version of Metric's Black Sheep (previously known as Freddie). It was in that Scott Pilgrim vs the World movie-- which I still haven't seen.
I winced when I thought you said you enjoyed "Bullet for my valentine" and "My chemical romance". I'm so glad that you didn't. ;)

Leuco

Troubadour
I don't like those either! But you know, I've noticed on itunes, whenever I type in My Bloody Valentine or Chemical Brothers, MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE is always the first one listed in the search box! Sheesh!

My CHEM ROM is lame IMHO now The Killers they kinda rock...
But not nearly as much as Match Box 20 or the verve pipe.
And I will always have a soft spot for Dashboard Confessional.

Anyone else Like Adel's voice? Her lyrics are weak but man what a voice... *sigh* if only.

Telcontar

Staff
I enjoy most any music, but my favorite is definitely rock. My top bands (in no particular order) are Alice in Chains, Metallica (ALL of Metallica... except St. Anger), Soundgarden, Audioslave, and the Foo Fighters. And Disturbed.

I do like Adelle's voice. Not sure I'd call her lyrics weak, but she doesn't rank on my top lyricist list, that's for damn sure. Also, I DO like My Chemical Romance. Very fun music. Once they grow up a bit I think they'll be even better.

OH soundgarden I had totaly forgotten all about those guys.
Counting crows, and counting blue cars were also good if you like them and Alice in Chains...
Foo Fighters, have not heard from them in a while. Are they still recording?? Same goes for the Goo Goo dolls.

Time will tell about Chem Rom...
As for Adel's lyrics even she admits that they could use some assistance. None the less wicked voice on that lady and I happen to think shes rather cute but that is neither here nor there.

Last edited:

Angharad

Troubadour
I like classic rock (Led Zep, Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd) and also Tool, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Nirvana... I also really love Celtic and Renaissance or Medieval music. Probably my favorite song of all time is Comfortably Numb.

Last edited:

Leuco

Troubadour
I enjoy most any music, but my favorite is definitely rock. My top bands (in no particular order) are Alice in Chains, Metallica (ALL of Metallica... except St. Anger), Soundgarden, Audioslave, and the Foo Fighters. And Disturbed.

That's funny. I just uploaded Down on the Upside (Soundgarden) to my computer yesterday. Pretty Noose is pretty nice!

Also, I heard another of my favorite songs today on the radio (NPR): Age of Consent by New Order.

Shadoe

Sage
I like just about all kinds of music. I don't listen to rap, mostly because most of the lyrics are just... ugly. I don't like twangy country, though some of the non-twangy kind is acceptable. And I have to admit that I'm not thrilled with most of the over-processed music that's coming out these days. I get annoyed if I can't hear what the vocal really sounds like. Other than that, it depends on my mood, I have about 11,000 music files and I listen to them based on my mood.

Kaellpae

Inkling
I'm all over the place for band likings. Punk is definitely up there. 50s and 60s era. Epic, space rock.

By far my favorite bands are blink-182 and Angels and Airwaves.

Ravana

Istar
Favorite song? "2112," Rush.

I listen to just about anything except rap and country. (And if there's such a thing as "country rap," I do not want to know about it.) Oh: and Chinese opera. Dreadful stuff.

Favorite song? "2112," Rush.

I listen to just about anything except rap and country. (And if there's such a thing as "country rap," I do not want to know about it.) Oh: and Chinese opera. Dreadful stuff.

Here here! China has some really wonderful music but their opera should be shut down for the sake of peoples ears! First time I heard it I thought mine were bleeding...litteraly!

Telcontar

Staff
Foo Fighters are definitely still recording. Think they just came out with a new album, and their latest single "Walk" is great.

I could never pick a single favorite song. My mood changes too often. I have favorite songs of the moment though, and just at the moment I think my Song of the Moment is Tool's 10,000 Days (Tool should probably have also been on my list of favorite bands).

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
I'm more of a metal guy : D NOT screamo. METAL. I hate when people associate the two. One sounds like a boy wailing probably with autotuning and the other is "I actually have balls, metal."

And of course I like to listen to some epic music - really helps spark creativity with writing.

Top favorite bands/groups/orchestras/etc I listen to:

Amon Amarth - Viking Metal
Two Steps From Hell - Epic Music
Atreyu
Three Days Grace
Five Finger Death Punch

Thats all I can really think of right now but thats some of them : P

Shadoe

Sage
Here here! China has some really wonderful music but their opera should be shut down for the sake of peoples ears! First time I heard it I thought mine were bleeding...litteraly!
And all I can think is, "I have to see about downloading some of that...." Seriously. I need help.