• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Witcher 2 - any good?

Lathar

Acolyte
Downloading it right now(legally from Steam, worry not). Just wanted to know what you guys think of the game.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm a huge fan of the books by Andrezj Sapkowski (OK, I've only read one, but I still loved it) and I never played the first Witcher game. However, I really like Witcher 2. I think it's a bit difficult (the reason I haven't finished it yet) but it's reasonable for the most part. It's more action-RPG, a la Skyrim or Dragon Dogma I guess. The story is also pretty well written, so it's not all sizzle and no steak.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I like Witcher 2. I also like Skyrim, and what I've played thus far of Kingdoms of Amalur isn't bad eithers. If you like either of those, you should like The Witcher 2 just fine.

Ophiucha

Auror
It's a challenging game with enjoyable (I hesitate to say likeable) characters and a pretty solid story; the second chapter is completely different depending on which path you choose, so it has some replay value going on there, too. The gameplay is pretty fun and has a fair amount of variety for this type of game, plus I'm pretty sure it allows you to turn off the QTEs if you don't like them (I hate them and resent games that make me do them). Gorgeous looking game with fantastic lore behind it, too. The books it's continuing the story from are excellent, though they haven't all been translated into English. And there are enough side quests and crafting recipes to keep the game going.

If none of that is good enough, I'd say it's worth playing if only because the stuff they've released for The Witcher 3 make it look like it's going to be the greatest game ever made.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Witcher 3? Oh? This is happy news indeed.

I agree that the QTEs can go on a bit long, but they are generally pretty nice looking. One thing that annoys me is dying at a boss battle and sometimes it makes you go through the cut scenes again a little bit. But it's a minor gripe from a pretty great game.

Varamyrr

Minstrel
Just like Phil I'm a huge fan of the books. In fact, they inspire me. I loved the first game and I simply adore the second. Yes Skyrim is great, but TW2 is a beast. I'm looking forward to the 3rd which in my opinion will be a mix of both. Simply put: awesome!

Personally, TW2 is the best game that I've played in years. Yes, it has quite a high learning curve and you'll see yourself dying a lot at the beginning. But once you get the hang of it you'll be unstoppable. Personally, I've played the game in insane mode, which means no dying :). Also, take note that from the moment you start the game and begin making decisions that they'll keep following you till the end. (La Valette).

If you like a dark, gritty, violent and more importantly an adult action-rpg then you'll love it. The only one I see coming close to it is Planescape Torment.

Hint: if you are into the politics of the game follow the the military guy(Roche). If not, follow the elf. Both sides are equally great! Look through the QTE's, they mostly are rather short and are mostly really entertaining to view.

Vara,