• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

when the 'bad guy' does the homework

I'm developing further an old idea/plot and I've became stuck in a important point. So, let me explain.
That is three people, cursed with immortality for some reason that is not relevant. They are a warrior, a sorcerer and a third one that in the original concept is a thief.

At some point in the very distant past, the warrior got tired and went 'sleep'. Now, eons later, he wakes up and find that his weapon, which also contain his soul, is missing.
The story goes on and he find it, but once he tries to summon his power, the weapon stuns him because it doesn't recognise him as the 'owner any more.
He figure out that the sorcerer might have tampered it and decides to look for his old companion (the real reason goes more for the 'warrior did it to himself').
The problem, the warrior doesn't feel anymore the presence of the sorcerer (one can feel the relative position of the other). But that can happen only if the sorcerer is dead, but it also cannot be.

Then he discoverer, that far away in the past, the 'heroes of justice' fought a malevolent sorcerer and tried to kill him, but not even fire would consume him, so the only possible outcome was to 'dismember' the sorcerer and hide away its 'parts'.
The sorcerer could be return to 'proper life' by assembling back his body. And here is where the problem lies.
How can the warrior find the pieces again. He can feel it if he is close to it but can't feel from afar.
He is considered a traitor by the third one (that is why he believes the sorcerer messed with his weapon) and even being able to find him, would not get any help.
The easier solution was to, hide somewhere, be a old scripture with the location of the parts in riddles. But common, this is very stupid. Why would the heroes write down the location of something they do not want reassembled? Even if that is some traitor between them, by no means he would have all the information.

So here is where I'm stuck, how can the warrior find it. The head is the most important as could be awakened in order to know the location of the other body parts (one always knows where its hands are).

Butterfly

Auror
Go hunting for the 'heroes of justice'. They did the job, they would likely know where the body parts are... perhaps they are a secret order hidden somewhere with ancient tomes or verbal secrets. Perhaps there even exists a hidden crypt in some building they own that contains a bit of the sorcerer.

Also, did the thief have a part to play in stealing the sword? He may know more.

Rullenzar

Troubadour
You say your warrior was in a slumber. The most obvious course of action you could take is talking to the locals that were present when this all happened and try to find a lead. Maybe someone has already found a piece but doesn't understand what it is and uses it for other means (making money, making a show around the head talking).

Well, I mean, the was really an huge amount of years, so, that is no locals who where there when it happen. He would find some info about the fate of the sorcerer with someone whose lineage descend from one of the sorcerer 'apprentices', but that is all he knows.
That is a merchant/collector who had one hand, but to get the other pieces..

And no, the thief didn't had a part in it, he was/is facing his own fate (locked in a deep and forgotten dungeon with no access to food or water, since he is immortal, no one care about it).

The weapon was taken by a group of explorers, who fled in terror when they found a 'alive' human in a chamber that was sealed for, well, a millenium or two. (The technological pace of this world is quite odd, since the world is odd. The warrior's weapon is just a copper sword, no real value to anyone else but for being an old relic, in the warrior's hand however..)

(Off-topic: I think I posted it in the wrong section, shouldn't be in the brainstorm? sorry for that)

Twook00

Sage
You said the Warrior can't go to the thief for help because the thief won't help him. Why doesn't he make the thief help him? Can he do this and if so, how?

If he is a bad or gray type person: Some form of threat? Black mail? A ransom?

If he is a good guy: Maybe a clever trick? Maybe he completes a task that wins back the thief's trust?

You said the Warrior can't go to the thief for help because the thief won't help him. Why doesn't he make the thief help him? Can he do this and if so, how?

If he is a bad or gray type person: Some form of threat? Black mail? A ransom?

If he is a good guy: Maybe a clever trick? Maybe he completes a task that wins back the thief's trust?

Well, all the three of them were really bad guys, and were unstoppable when together, that is why the warrior is viewed as the traitor, he 'retire' from his duties, only downfall follow.
But you did put some light in my thoughts, and another reason to drop the thief and change it. The major reason is that all three have their soul in their most valuable item, sword, staff, and for the thief I was unsure about a cloak or dagger.
But changing it I can get him to wear a sacred unholy symbol by being a cleric (which also solve some not-that-relevant problem), and this would be, towards divination, be able to get some clues.

So, thanks.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Your `Warrior' follows in somebody elses footsteps.

There WILL be people who have done, or who are actively engaged in research on both the Sorcerer and the group that dismembered him. These researchers would have gone to great lengths to track the movements of both Sorcerer and Dismemberers. Odds are some of the researchers have a fair idea where at least a few of the sorcerers body parts are.

AnnaBlixt

Minstrel
There is an old trick for this... and old tricks are the best. I've seen this in numerous movies.

The guy who can't find what he is looking for pretends to find it and makes it known that he has found it. This will of course cause the keeper of the item to check on it (or check on the seeker), and this creates a lead. If the bad-guy claims to have found it, someone who knows its true whereabouts might turn up or launch a suspect expedition to a strange part of space.

There is an old trick for this... and old tricks are the best. I've seen this in numerous movies.

The guy who can't find what he is looking for pretends to find it and makes it known that he has found it. This will of course cause the keeper of the item to check on it (or check on the seeker), and this creates a lead. If the bad-guy claims to have found it, someone who knows its true whereabouts might turn up or launch a suspect expedition to a strange part of space.

Classic; it's a variation of what Sherlock Holmes did (in A Scandal in Bohemia, the first short story) by pretending to burn the building to see where Irene Adler ran to save her blackmail stash.

The logic is that, even if you can't track what you want by following some trace or combing through a finite area, the one thing you do know is that the person who hid it there knows where it is. You just have have to trick, bully, bargain, or otherwise get him to show you.

Saigonnus

Auror
If the warrior has an item that houses his "soul" it stands to reason the wizard would have something similar in the event he gets attacked and potentially slain.(like the horocruxes Tom Riddle used in the Harry Potter series). Perhaps the warrior knows about the item; since they at least had some connnection and he goes to find THAT. That item, since it houses part of the wizard's "soul" could be used as a divining rod to find the individual pieces of the wizards body; being attuned to him after all.

Addison

Auror
Okay so sorcerer is evil, warrior evil. Your method of killing and reviving the sorcerer reminds me of "Jeepers Creeper 2".

Maybe you can have each part emanate an influencing evil power. Like the hidden leg's power can reach out and cause pain to the same leg of a passing traveler or cause that leg to kick the traveler, or influence their path in an evil way. information on the whereabouts can be told in local superstitions and lore. That's how most of today's information on fairies and mermaids came about.

That seems interesting, I already set up a damned oasis where the head is located, travellers, specially traders, have lots of story about it since it is crossed by one of the main routes. But your idea about the leg is really awesome. Never though that way.

Addison

Auror
My brother was sweet enough growing up to tell me gruesome stories before bed or just for fun. :p I'll tell him you say thanks.

Saigonnus

Auror
That seems interesting, I already set up a damned oasis where the head is located, travellers, specially traders, have lots of story about it since it is crossed by one of the main routes. But your idea about the leg is really awesome. Never though that way.

I imagine a group of weary travelers stopping for the night at the oasis and hearing strange, whispered noises in the dark of night, precluding them from getting any sleep.