• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Other words for helmet?

Aegrus

Scribe
This may seem like a silly question, but I need a really good answer. I need more words for the word helmet, as the title says. This is suprisingly important, as the helmet in question is very important to my plot.

This is surprisingly difficult. The only word I can think of would be helm. Perhaps if your characters are part of a certain heritage, you could use the word that means helmet in a different language. So let's say your character was a viking, you could use the word "Hjalm" which means helmet. Hope this helps and good luck!

Edit : I am kind of dissapointed that there aren't any synonyms for helmet (at least that I can think of) What if this helmet of yours represented some sort of authority and you could make it like an armored crown?

Last edited:

Aegrus

Scribe
I would also accept varying words for crown. Any words for significant things that are worn on the head are fine, really.

Ravana

Istar
Actually, I'm not sure you do need more words for "helmet"–because if you don't consistently use the same one, for that helmet at least, your readers will probably think you're referring to different ones. If the hat is unique, I'd pick one and stay with it… even if you choose to use the other words for other helmets, just for the sake of some form of variety.

Helm, bascinet, armet, sallet, and spangenhelm are the ones that come to mind immediately. Keep in mind that each refers to a specific style of helmet, however, so if it's not the kind you want, don't use it.

Throw in tiara and wreath for crown-like objects, though again probably neither is what you're after.

Also synonyms for "hat," if you don't already have a particular appearance in mind. Fez, turban, beret, fedora, tricorn… uhm, beanie, sombrero… yarmulke… war bonnet… Easter bonnet… okay, I'll stop now. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
If the hat is unique, I'd pick one and stay with it… even if you choose to use the other words for other helmets, just for the sake of some form of variety.

I assumed that was the intention anyway.

Perhaps the helmet needs an epic name, "The Helm of Urquhart the Dunderheaded who defeated the Great Slagerbeast of Anderhall during the First Great war against Scar the Lesser, King of the Marshlands".

Then it can have its own name in the story to distinguish it from all other helmets in the story.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

Ravana

Istar
Perhaps the helmet needs an epic name, "The Helm of Urquhart the Dunderheaded who defeated the Great Slagerbeast of Anderhall during the First Great war against Scar the Lesser, King of the Marshlands".

Yeah, but think what it will do to your word count if you use that every time it gets mentioned.… :p

(On the other hand, this particular name has the happy coincidence that it could be shortened to "the Urquhat".… :D )

Last edited by a moderator: