• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My Magic Non-system

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Magic in Altearth rests on two foundations, phlogiston and aether. Phlogiston is the stuff that causes magic; it can be regarded as the essence of magical force. Aether is the medium through which magic (and everything else) moves. I think of phlogiston as an extension of the table of elements, while aether is a medium underlying all the elements. Both are universal, but while aether is a constant, phlogiston can like any element be concentrated, diluted, extracted.

Until modern times, no one knew any of this, so people came up with their own explanations for why magic works. So we got theories of humors, for example. Other peoples believed magic powers came from the gods by way of prayer. Still others thought it was inherited through blood, was drawn upon in places of power, or was regulated by the stars.

In truth, the forces at work were so many and varied, it was impossible for anyone to puzzle out the root causes for about fifteen hundred years. It required the discipline of science to unlock the secrets of magic. Once that was accomplished, we get the Age of Steam, in which Altearth learned to extract and refine phlogiston directly to drive the machines of the new age. It was only a little over two centuries before we learned how to harness the power of phlogiston to our understanding of the aether and we achieved space flight.

I like this system because it allows the characters I write to have all kinds of understandings about magic. I can invent any number of rules. They don't have to be exactly right in order to be effective. The analogy is that for centuries doctors in Earth practiced medicine having all sorts of silly notions about the human body, yet they could still be effective often enough that people continued to consult them. My magicians aren't always effective; they're just effective often enough.

At the same time, I didn't want to have magic be ad hoc, invented just for the occasion of the story. Altearth has two thousand years of history, and I wanted there to be some continuity. In keeping with my core principle that the mythology of Earth is the reality of Altearth, I hit on the idea of phlogiston a few years ago. Once I coupled that with aether, I figured I had what I needed. My other analogy is with gravity. People have always lived with gravity, but for a very long time they had ideas about weight and flight and falling that were quite wrong. Yet they could still function and build. So it is in Altearth.

Comments on all this are most welcome.

Coldboots

Scribe
I like the concept of understanding of tech being outpaced by the capability of making tech function. For instance, using our own modern world's example, certain technologies that have been preserved being seen almost as magical as the methodology for proliferation of the tech has survived, but the understanding of underlying principles that made inventing the stuff has long since disappeared for whatever reason.

So they would know how to make it work, and it would be codified and almost become a religious thing to adhere to the ancient ways of doing things, as the machines get 'angry' if their whims aren't followed in exact ways.

Just a thought that occurred to me reading about your system. I like resource-based magic, it's fun.

I was working on a similar system where wielders were known as Ologists, I just wasn't educated enough in chemistry to get it right. But I love your system, have fun with it!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I plan to. I spent an inordinate number of hours in my youth studying astrology and numerology, with a side of alchemy, so I have at least a feel for how those systems deployed. Of course I intend to muck with it. What's really liberating is knowing that each system gets it right often enough to be believed by many for a time, and fails often enough for there to be doubters and revisionists. What it really means for the author is that I get to tailor the systems to the demands of the story (while staying within the historical progression). I don't have to construct a "real" magic system.

ATKH

Scribe
The first thing that came to my mind is a bunch of modern, highly educated "scientists" (well, self-proclaimed magic scientists) keeping up a lively academic debate about the nature of various phenomena, presenting hypotheses, doing research and eventually coming closer to the kind of catalogued understanding of the magical world as we have of the chemical/physical world today as a result of centuries of science. Is someone doing this or has there been a great breakthrough (like, say, the periodic table or DNA) in recent years? All very interesting thoughts, but maybe it's not applicable to your world.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
It's definitely applicable, though only in later centuries. Altearth parallels Earth. So, in what would be Earth's 13thc, we get schools, which are a prerequisite for lively academic debate. We don't get scientists until we get science. I may move that forward a bit, to the equivalent of the 18thc. They are the ones who finally go after phlogiston in a scientific way and manage at last to identify and isolate it. In the next century, they fully develop a theory for aether and prove its existence.

I'm not sure what to do with life science. I guess it would involve discovering some link between phlogiston and genetics. I have not given it much thought. I am a medievalist by training, so most of my story ideas remain in those centuries. I do have one really good one for later, but I am keeping that story idea close to the vest for now.

Thanks so much for the comments.