• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

e7feed229247c34ec550df4247b026ad.jpg

So a couple weeks ago, my niece was already planning her ninth birthday party, and I asked her what kind of gifts she wanted. With much excitement (literally hopping around) she said she wanted "chapter books."

I had to do a double take. What was that, exactly? Her mother explained that these are books with chapters, i.e. what I as kid of that age only knew as "books."

I guess I'm out of the loop. (But all's well that ends well. I bought her The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World.)

SumnerH

Scribe
So a couple weeks ago, my niece was already planning her ninth birthday party, and I asked her what kind of gifts she wanted. With much excitement (literally hopping around) she said she wanted "chapter books."

I had to do a double take. What was that, exactly? Her mother explained that these are books with chapters, i.e. what I as kid of that age only knew as "books."

I guess I'm out of the loop. (But all's well that ends well. I bought her The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World.)

There's a bit more precise definition than just "books with chapters"; "chapter books" are the interim books between picture books/See Spot Run stuff and full-on YA/adult novels--something like Little House on the Prairie or Are You There God It's Me, Margaret? is probably too advanced to be considered a chapter book:
For ages 7-10, Chapter books are transitional books that help children move from early readers to full novels. Most chapter books deal with contemporary situations that are familiar to the readers, and are often humorous books.

The New York Times bestseller lists has a list of bestselling Children's Chapter Books, though that's often considered to include a bunch of more advanced YA novels along with actual chapter books (as it is almost everywhere, defining genre is blurry).

EDIT: Oh, and your selection is perfect.

Last edited:
@SumnerH: Yeah, I found the Wikipedia article on chapter books and a few more links that gave the more precise definition.

Some of the distinction is confusing. For instance, that transitional level might include more illustrations than a novel but not have a lot of illustrations like books for beginning readers, but I checked out the previews of some top selling chapter books on Amazon, and many of them do not have many or any large illustrations in chapters.

My general impression is that the term isn't perfectly defined, or that chapter books might vary in how they are written, but that they are basically middle-grade level books divided into smallish chapters that allow young readers to take breaks or read a story in smaller chunks.

That said, my niece had already showed me a book from her backpack that she's been reading, a Little House on the Prairie book, and I think her idea of "chapter book" is simply a book with chapters, although obviously something she's capable of reading. She can read and understand books a little above her age already but apparently reads very slowly still. Regardless of the more precise definition of chapter books, I'm thinking my choice of gift is good for her level.*

*Edit: Ah, wrote that last bit before I saw your edit! ;)

Late edit: Actually, the top sellers on the Amazon list do have lots more illustrations. I'd been looking at some much lower down on the list. I suppose I see a distinction...important if I ever decide to write something like a chapter book. Which, oddly enough...heh as I was leaving the birthday party, for the first time in my life I thought, hmm, maybe I'd want to write something for kids that age.

Last edited: