• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Profile posts and links

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Ahoy. I just noticed I'm able to post links in my Profile Updates ands they show up on the Recent Activity page and they're clickable there. Mine's just to an instagram picture of mine and there shouldn't be any harm in it.

Still though, is that okay to do, or is it best avoided? It's a nice feature. :)

I'd noticed that. :cool:

The new forum software seems to have a lot of "social connectivity" features.

I'd guess in the case of those Profile Updates, the same general rules would apply as for anything else posted anywhere in the forums. My only issue is that lots and lots of things are appearing in "Recent Activity," so if I'm looking only for recent posts and comments—wanting to follow conversations—that link is becoming cluttered with info.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Yeah. I've noticed the same. I tried looking around but didn't find anything to show only "recent posts" like in the old forums, but maybe there's a setting for it I haven't dug up yet.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The clutter in the Recent Activity setting appears to be built into Xenforo, and is the only significant drawback to the new software that I've noticed. When I asked Black Dragon about it, he mentioned that the developers were talking about putting filters on the recent activity page, so perhaps it will change in the future.

As for the profile links, just use them a little judiciously, let us know if you see any spam, and we'll see whether we need to set up any rules for it or not.

Filters would be great.

I've noticed we can follow individual members, and any posts by those members will show up in our "News Feed." This feed can be accessed fairly easily in two ways. 1) Hover over your user name at the top of the page, and it's one of the links. 2) At the bottom of the Recent Activity listing is a button for the News Feed. This feed kinda does the work of the old Recent Activity link, but the drawback is that only posts from followed members show up there.

Edit: But back to the OP...I can see where having those links show up in Recent Activity could be abused. Occasional spamming of links to entries on Amazon (or wherever) would show up in Recent Activity, and enough people doing that, or posting links for every off-site blog entry, would really, really clutter things.

Nimue

Auror
I've been clicking on "New Posts" up in the header instead of "Recent Activity" rather for that reason? That brings you to a page where you can look at posts alone, or alternately portfolio entries etc. I do rather like having portfolio stuff in the recent activity, group/guild posts, blog posts, even showing who liked what, but I agree about not getting the profile link/status stuff. I suppose it's meant for people to be able to announce if they're going to be gone, have published something, etc, without posting it anywhere but their profile.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The "New Posts" feature is a little odd because it doesn't show recent posts that are marked as read. Half of the time I look a thread, and don't know what I want to say until I see it later scrolling through the Activity Stream. I think some of New Posts tool is designed for navigating larger or busier communities, while the Recent Activities seems designed for smaller ones.