• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Trying to add to my world, ideas welcome

Avadyyrm

Scribe
Trying to flesh out and add to my world. I have created a map, and it is detailed, but I want more, so that it is deeply enriched. It's not sci fi, but it is large, near Lotr and GoT size

Aldarion

Archmage
1) You have to have idea of what it is you want to write about. Internal politics? International politics? Wars? Etc. That will give you idea of how large your world has to be and what you have to have in it. Also, what is the social system? Roman Empire? Feudalism? How does political system work?
2) Is it alternate history of our world, inspired by our world, or something completely original? (Well, last is impossible)
3) Try to learn from history, fantasy etc.

I cannot really help you without knowing more details about your world.

Avadyyrm

Scribe
1) You have to have idea of what it is you want to write about. Internal politics? International politics? Wars? Etc. That will give you idea of how large your world has to be and what you have to have in it. Also, what is the social system? Roman Empire? Feudalism? How does political system work?
2) Is it alternate history of our world, inspired by our world, or something completely original? (Well, last is impossible)
3) Try to learn from history, fantasy etc.

I cannot really help you without knowing more details about your world.

Yeah I should have added more information. It is not an alternative history to our world. It has empire's that run like the Roman empire, others that have feudalism and such.internal politics include houses trying to gain power over one another, by treachery or treaty. The political system works like most work back then, whoever has the most gold, or armies, or (not that they had this) magic, resources, etc

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Have you looked for worldbuilding guides? There are several, typically consisting of a list of questions to ask or of topics to check off. You could spend years answering them all, and I'm not kidding about that.

Aldarion

Archmage
Yeah I should have added more information. It is not an alternative history to our world. It has empire's that run like the Roman empire, others that have feudalism and such.internal politics include houses trying to gain power over one another, by treachery or treaty. The political system works like most work back then, whoever has the most gold, or armies, or (not that they had this) magic, resources, etc

In that case you need to have a fairly detailed worldbuilding.
1) Are you focusing primarily on international or internal politics?
2) What are internal politics of these empires? How do they affect international politics?
3) What are important houses? What are important individuals?
4) Relations between houses and individuals? How do these affect internal politics? How do they affect international politics? How can/do nobles take advantage of international developments to promote their own interest? How do internal developments affect relations between the states?

inverty

Dreamer
I would suggest adding in an entire bestiary for the creatures of the world, even if you don't plan on using them all, sometimes I get really good ideas from just making up creatures.