• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

On Sensitivity Readers

I think it very much depends on the task you give your sensitivety reader.

If you simply give a manuscript to one and ask them for a general review, then you will gte a comment on everything anyone anywhere might find offensive. After all, that's their mission. If they don't then they haven't done their job correctly. This leads to people complaining about using the word rape.

However, if you have a specific question for your sensitivity reader then you can get useful feedback. If I have a dyslexic character in my story and I want to know if I portrayed him correctly and did him justice, then asking a dyslexic person to read it and give me their opinion makes a lot of sense. I believe in such an instance, it can make your story stronger and more authentic, since you're digging deeper and trying to get rounded characters and not just caricatures.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Interesting article!

I had heard about this kind of thing before, and some of my works have sometimes been criticized for similar reasons, but now I see that things could be getting out of control. It really has the potential to pretty much ruin literature as we know and value it, just as I feared. The world is going nuts! That's the reason that a very significant part of my literary legacy will probably never be published, since I do not want such crazy things to happen to my novels.

I mean, if some people want literature to follow their world vision, then they should write their own damn novels. Oh, probably that's far beyond their skills, but they still want to change the works already created by others.

In some of my works I have tried to bring to light the problems suffered by colorblind people, but still my novels would face hostility because my characters are not diverse enough, or some crap like that. Sometimes, I am sad not to share certain novels of mine, but other times I am sure that keeping them hidden is the best decision.

Weird times that we are living in!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
You criticized? Impossible.

I did not elaborate, but I agree. This stuff is a type of poison that is giving too much creative control to those with their own reasons, unrelated to the actual artist, with the aim of stifling the creative process. I always say there is good and bad in everything, and I am sure there are places where this would be worth considering, but....I am putting this in the category of more bad than good. I am not likely to seek this out.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Fairly recently at work I was in a meeting about Equality, Diversity and Inclusion [and how to improve it].
It was a room full of smart people that got on together very well. Most of them would consider others in the room friends.
But within half an hour there was shouting and name calling.
Some points of view can not be reconciled.
Some trigger issues are mutually exclusive.
This thread and the article made me thing of this.
I think it is a good idea to get the point of view of someone [many people, if possible] from within a community you are not able to access directly.
But it is the writer's decision on how to include that new knowledge, wisdom and experience within their work.

I actually find the idea of sensitivity readers pretty offensive...

The sanitising of history, in particular, drives me nuts but freedom of expression is so important. If something published is wrong, or offensive to some, then it probably won't find much of a market these days. Writers and publishers, if they want to find a market, ought to be personally aware of whom they risk offending, but asking others to make judgments for you? No way. Write what you want to write and have the guts to stand by it.

That said, I think it perfectly sensible to get specific feedback if you are wandering into areas likely to trigger strong reactions with subcultures beyond your own experience. For example, in one of my half finished works (a crime novel) there is a lesbian fabliau (really important to the story).

As a straight male, I wouldn't have a clue what it's like to be a lesbian but I do know what it's like to be in love with someone with the relationship being complicated by a third party. I can use that, and also use my imagination and story telling skills for the rest. Mind you, I have several lesbian friends who are fans of my work and have already lined them up to read the book and make suggestions before it goes into production. But I don't really see that as sensitivity reading - I see it more as research into authenticity.

I am also very keen to challenge myself by writing something so far beyond my personal experience. Of course, as writers of sci-fi and fantasy, we do that all the time.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
It troubles me to see "sensitivity readers" treated as if they were a homogeneous group, all the with same agenda of imposing their own views on others. A great many are just people who've been asked to provide some feedback on a work from their own particular perspective.

It's worth emphasizing that last phrase. Whether it's race, gender, religion, cultural group, not every member is like every other member. If I were to ask one of my acquaintances, who happens to be gay, to give me feedback on a gay character in one of my books, I'm not expecting that man to speak for all other gay men. I'm asking for his particular perspective.

It's not merely demeaning to label all sensitivity readers with a single sign, it's profoundly misleading to us as authors. I can recognize special pleading when I see it; I do this all the time, from every and any beta reader or editor.

The one place where I can see a pernicious influence--in theory, not in personal experience--is where the editor of a publishing house tells the author to consult one or more sensitivity readers, then insists the author make changes based on that feedback over the author's own objections. This, of course, has long been a tension between authors and publishers, over a wide range of issues. But there I fault the publishers, not the sensitivity readers.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hi Skip!

It's all about how the publishers are adapting to our new age of wokeness and the cancellation culture. I guess they want to make sure that the books are woke enough, because if they are unwoke then plenty of people get triggered and that's not good for business.

Look at all the hate aimed at J.K. Rowling for example, because of certain things she said and, more recently, a character in one of her newer books.

If that happened to Rowling, what can normal authors expect?

It seems to me that this whole system is pushing literature in a not so positive direction, or at least it has the potential to do that.

Reactions: Guy

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The one place where I can see a pernicious influence--in theory, not in personal experience--is where the editor of a publishing house tells the author to consult one or more sensitivity readers, then insists the author make changes based on that feedback over the author's own objections. This, of course, has long been a tension between authors and publishers, over a wide range of issues. But there I fault the publishers, not the sensitivity readers.

It doesn't just stem from publishers though. When you start seeing blog posts criticizing stories - even popular ones - it's easy to start comparing them to your own work, and internalizing criticism before you've even written anything. That's a lesson for writers to take on. That all this urgent, desperate, angry, self-righteous criticism isn't what you should be looking at. You've got to put yourself into a working mindset, and then look for the opinions that are also in that mindset. Look for clear pointers and techniques that you can use, figure out what's the heart of your story and be flexible elsewhere, and don't get reactionary so that you blindly tear your work up.

Listen to the advice that feels like it's trying to work with you, and ignore the ones that feel like they're screaming at someone else.

Queshire

Istar
Do amateur writers really look at stuff like that? There's flourishing fanfic communities out on the internet along with a wide variety of Youtube videos and podcasts with writing advice. We've even got this site here. I joined this site by simply googling fantasy writing forum and clicking on the first link. WonderingSword's recent thread in here is built off the kind of fear you're worried about writers internalizing and the the advice he received is that it was overblown.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
To things to keep in mind:

1) disgruntled types are far more likely to find the energy to post comments, thus skewing any measure of what a general reader thinks.

2) if 10000 people read your book and 9000 hate it, did you do poorly? No, you got 1000 people to buy the next one.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Do amateur writers really look at stuff like that? There's flourishing fanfic communities out on the internet along with a wide variety of Youtube videos and podcasts with writing advice. We've even got this site here. I joined this site by simply googling fantasy writing forum and clicking on the first link. WonderingSword's recent thread in here is built off the kind of fear you're worried about writers internalizing and the the advice he received is that it was overblown.

Most people see whatever comes their way and don't seek out the right places for advice. Like, for many people it might be the reviews on their favorite book, or people griping about a movie they saw, or whatever rant their college friend posts on Facebook, or the doom-and-gloom memes. And even just the thought of being seen as racist or sexist can be frightening, as it feels a bit demonizing. At least for this discussion, I don't even mean to criticize that content for what it is. But if you're a writer, you're working on a story, you need to look for advice that's actually helpful and constructive, not reactionary or jumping to extremes to get attention, or nitpicking little things to hit a number for a headline. That advice is absolutely there if you look for it. But like everything, it takes a bit of effort to sort through.

Queshire

Istar
Most people see whatever comes their way and don't seek out the right places for advice. Like, for many people it might be the reviews on their favorite book, or people griping about a movie they saw, or whatever rant their college friend posts on Facebook, or the doom-and-gloom memes. And even just the thought of being seen as racist or sexist can be frightening, as it feels a bit demonizing. At least for this discussion, I don't even mean to criticize that content for what it is. But if you're a writer, you're working on a story, you need to look for advice that's actually helpful and constructive, not reactionary or jumping to extremes to get attention, or nitpicking little things to hit a number for a headline. That advice is absolutely there if you look for it. But like everything, it takes a bit of effort to sort through.

Oops, wrong button. *ahem*

The potential benefit of providing perspectives and angles and author might not have still outweigh that to me. There's always going to be challenges for newbie writers. Who wants to hear that their first story is most likely going to be complete crap and rejected by publishers after all? Taking away sensitivity readers won't change that, but on the other hand if you have the strength of will to overcome one challenge then you have the strength of will to overcome the other.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The potential benefit of providing perspectives and angles and author might not have still outweigh that to me. There's always going to be challenges for newbie writers. Who wants to hear that their first story is most likely going to be complete crap and rejected by publishers after all? Taking away sensitivity readers won't change that, but on the other hand if you have the strength of will to overcome one challenge then you have the strength of will to overcome the other.

I'm sorry, but are you still talking to me? It doesn't feel that way anymore. I never advocated that anyone ditch sensitivity readers. If anything, my comments about finding people who will work with you could suggest that you find sensitivity readers for your work, but ignore everyone else.

It's also never helpful, for anyone anywhere, to undermine somebody's challenges, whatever they are, or however small they appear to you. They are difficult for some.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The internet storm caused by the backlash against the new Amazon Lord of the Rings trailer seems like an example of what happens if you only listen to sensitivity readers.

More people yelling at each other on the internet...... that hasn't even come out yet, so there's no way to know if it'll even affect their ratings. And just including People of Color, ala the show, isn't really even the point of sensitivity readers, which is usually about how certain groups are actually portrayed.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I've been thinking about this thread for the past couple of days, trying to figure out what I want to say. I do see value in sensitivity readers, being a writer who believes strongly in creating diverse worlds with realistic representation (in other words, our urban fantasy series is actually urban), but at the same time we rarely employ them. Individuals do have their own opinions and their own agendas, no single reader can stand as a monolith for whatever group(s) they are intended to represent. And as the three of us are already representative of so many underrepresented areas, being women, LGBTQIA, and disabled in different ways, we already bring a fair bit of experience to the table. But, that being said, we do do our homework. We read deeply and broadly about representation in media. We read own voices fiction. We have resources to ask questions when our own avenues have been exhausted, and not before. It's not a sensitivity reader's responsibility to educate us, but it is our responsibility to listen when they tell us something is off. It's also our responsibility to know when to make changes and to know when and how to forge ahead.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I agree that it is my responsibility and all that that implies. Its my work, my voice and my risk. I don't place the same value on this that others might. I can accept that some wont like what i have to say or how i say it. I think this stuff is more along the lines of paving the way to hell than what ever vision those with good intentions had. I would choose to avoid it.

Mad Swede

Auror
I was chatting to my editor today and happened to mention sensitivity readers. I won't quote her, but in between the swear words she basically expressed both amazement and contempt for those publishers who find it necessary to use sensitivity readers. As she put it, if you want to ensure diversity and appropriate characterisation which avoids stereotyping then maybe you as publishers should employ more commissioning and developmental editors from minority backgrounds, instead of trying to correct perceived problems after the book is written. Better still, commission good books by minority authors.

I did ask if my publishers used sensitivity readers and got the answer that no Swedish publisher does. My editor gently reminded me that it's my job as the author to get these things right. Yes, an editor can help, but ultimately it's down to me and my characterisation. She also added that if I don't do the research before writing then I deserve all the criticism I get.