• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where do you prefer to write?

Alex97

Troubadour
Just wondering where people usualy write/type.

Personaly I usualy write in my room at a desk or in an office so nothing too exiting. Although today I'm out in the garden which is nice because it overlooks fields and woods. Where I write dosn't really effect much but I think it's better to be in surroundings you like.

At my desk. I need solitude to write effectively; having people around is distracting. (Especially people I'm related to, who will interrupt me at random intervals.)

Hi,

Normally I'd write at my desk in my study, but lately my backs been too sore to sit for long, so I've taken to writing on a laptop from the couch. Its quite disconcerting writing like that, and the laptop has a wonky spacebar that only works some of the time, meaning I'm constantly having to back type everything. And the cats are a nuisance - they thought the couch was theirs!

Cheers, Greg.

I get random ideas usually anywhere but when I actually write I prefer to be somewhere in my house. It really doesn't matter where but when I type I obviously have to be at my computer throne (yes it is a throne. I just call it that because my computer chair is really huge) I just need it to be quiet. I know some people enjoy listening to music when they write but I find that too distracting. I might listen to music before I write to get me pumped up but when I write I prefer to hear nothing but my thoughts.

Taro

Minstrel
mainly at work at the moment, even though it is sometimes full of distractions, i wont get a lot of time to write at home :(

robertbevan

Troubadour
i write in my office at work. i wake up at 5:50 specifically so i can do this (and also to beat the morning traffic). if i have a morning class, it doesn't start until 9:30, so i've got a good solid chunk of time to write before that. if it's a day when i only have an afternoon class, all the better.

i'm on summer vacation now, so that's probably going to mean that i'm not going to write a whole lot for the month or two. but who knows? i might. i managed to crank out a short story here at home. but i don't think i've written a single word of my second novel since the vacation started.

Claire

Scribe
I typically sit at my desk, which is in a corner of our bedroom. Sometimes I use my little old netbook if I want to be in a different room - like if my kids are playing outside, I can sit with my netbook on the couch where I can see out the window, or take it outside on the back patio. But it doesn't work all that well anymore, and I get tired of the tiny screen.

I have a husband, 3 little kids and a cat so there are always distractions. ;)

Arreth

Acolyte
In bed, on the couch, in the dining room or in my study... where lately I'm trying to write some stuff standing up (with the laptop atop a small bookshelf) a la Ernest Hemingway - apparently all this sitting down we're doing is bad for our health :)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@ThinkerX: You are not alone, I also have my PC and I think that laptops are inferior computers.

I write in my room, where I have all my personal energy and I listen to some great music to get inspiration- I am not sure whether I would get used to writing my novels on a laptop at Starbucks or something, I love my room =)

Chime85

Sage
I often take my Laptop (that's right, Laptop! :p ) and my many notebooks to my sofa. If I'm writing late in the evening I tend to have a glass of wine on one side, and a plate full of sandwhiches on another. The only time I would get up is for a ciggy break (of which i have many when writing).

x

Graylorne

Archmage
Like ThinkerX and Sheilawisz I use a pc. Even better, I use two of them. One for writing, the other to check mail, twitter and forums of course.
I've a workroom with all my books, dictionaries etc and I spend most of my time here. Ivory tower? Yes, blessed peace too.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Mostly I try to write at the library, but I also write at McDonalds, at mall food courts, and when I must, at my desk at home. I just need a spot to sit down and a place to set my laptop.

For me, writing at home has diminishing returns in terms of getting into the right head space. Home is where I relax so subconsciously being at home makes my mind and body want to go all vegetative. When I go somewhere like the library, the moment I pop open the laptop, my brain and body know it's time to get down to business.

korabas

Dreamer
Anywhere with no TV and no xbox. Although as my laptop has internet, I usually still get distracted anyway! I find I write best after dark, with a good bottle of rum by my side. Alternatively, in the office at work,when i'm supposed to be actual-working, lol

Lorna

Inkling
Writing- at home. In privacy. I need silence.

Thinking through ideas / working out scenes - out in nature, walking or cycling. Seem to flow better.