• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Amazon Author Rank

288,836. Meh.

For the category that my book is in: 13,133.
I've been there...but I hope that you have your book well-categorized. A good category choice can really help. They don't break down Author Rank as much as they do the typical categories, but some can be broke down pretty far down and the farther down they are broken the better in terms of marketing and usable info.

I was in Barnes and Noble the other night and saw your books on the shelf. I thought, "Cool. I kinda know someone kinda famous."

I'm glad to hear they are still stocking the books. It's been over a year on two of the titles - that is a good sign. I don't know what's going on with my ranking but it's now

All books: 916
For Fantasy #45

Sparkie

Auror
I'm glad to hear they are still stocking the books. It's been over a year on two of the titles - that is a good sign.

I made my semi-annual visit to my local mall last weekend. In the Barnes and Nobles there, I saw Theft of Swords in a special display along with a Joe Abercrombie book. Not sure if that means anything, but I thought it was cool. :)

I'm glad to hear they are still stocking the books. It's been over a year on two of the titles - that is a good sign. I don't know what's going on with my ranking but it's now

For Fantasy #45

I recently read a blog that described you as one of the top 5 most successful self-published authors and the most successful in fantasy.

My book has been out about 2 months, it's bouncing around the ranks on both Uk, and US Amazon, and had been in the top 100 of historical fantasy on a dozen or more occasions (top ranking about 16). Made it up to around 80,000 on the German site too and it still has a rank there though it is steadily falling. I like the ranking feature, even if it is very volatile; at least you know if you are selling SOMETHING!

I made my semi-annual visit to my local mall last weekend. In the Barnes and Nobles there, I saw Theft of Swords in a special display along with a Joe Abercrombie book. Not sure if that means anything, but I thought it was cool. :)

Well it means a lot to me. Thanks for letting me know - that is really cool.

Just wanted to clarify, although Michael can do a better job, but I believe he has graduated from the self-publishing realm.

I'm not sure I would classify it as "graduated." Both routes are very viable these days, in many ways (and for a good number of authors) self-publishing offers better income. But...you are correct in that at the present I'm for the most part traditionally published. (I have a few short stories that are self-published, but all my current novels are produced by a bix-six imprint). I'm hoping to change that soon. I have a window of opportunity where I can put out a self-published work up until the end of March 2013 and I'm working hard to get that done. If I do then I will be a hybrid.

Just wanted to report the results of the changes to my Author Rank after having the kindle daily deal. As I mentioned my previous numbers were:

For Fantasy #45

My "new bests" because of the daily deal are;

All books: 32
For Fantasy #3

It's been 10 days since the daily deal has ended and I'm currently at:

All books: #678
For Fantasy #44

Chilari

Staff
Michael, I actually downloaded the Viscount and the Witch onto my new Kindle on Christmas Day and enjoyed it so much that as soon as I got my new debit card (it needed to be replaced because some distasteful individual unknown to me decided to spend £280 of my money on their Christmas presents) I bought Theft of Swords, which I am about three chapters into and enjoying immensely. So that'll account for one sale since the Daily Deal. I've found your posts both here and on Reddit/writing so interesting and informative that I felt compelled to read your stuff, and in fact Theft of Swords was the first fiction book I bought on Kindle.

Michael, I actually downloaded the Viscount and the Witch onto my new Kindle on Christmas Day and enjoyed it so much that as soon as I got my new debit card (it needed to be replaced because some distasteful individual unknown to me decided to spend £280 of my money on their Christmas presents) I bought Theft of Swords, which I am about three chapters into and enjoying immensely. So that'll account for one sale since the Daily Deal. I've found your posts both here and on Reddit/writing so interesting and informative that I felt compelled to read your stuff, and in fact Theft of Swords was the first fiction book I bought on Kindle.

I'm glad you find the posts informative and am honored to be your fist fiction purchase for the kindle - I'd love to hear what you think when you are finished.