• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

word of the day

Jamber

Sage
My word for today is 'milquetoast'. I'd never heard it before today and had to look it up.

Wikipedia:

'Milquetoast is an American English dysphemism for a weak, timid, or bland person.

'The word milquetoast derives from the name of Caspar Milquetoast, a diffident character in H. T. Webster's comic strip The Timid Soul.'

Have you stumbled across any unusual words recently?

cheers
Jennie

Jamber

Sage
Brilliant!
I was going to ask if 'toad-eater' is where we got 'toady' from (a fawner or flatterer). Then I bothered to check and found this:

'toady (n.) [...]
' "servile parasite," 1826, apparently shortened from toad-eater "fawning flatterer" (1742), originally referring to the assistant of a charlatan, who 'ate a toad (believed to be poisonous) to enable his master to display his skill in expelling the poison (1620s).' (Online Etymology Dictionary.)'

I had no idea of any of that. Thank you!

Here's one for us writers: "Monks and Friars" (at least I think it was monks). Anyway, they are forgotten printing terms for imperfections. A monk was a word or letter that was blotched with ink, while I think a friar was a word/letter that had been printed with too little ink and come out faint.

Reaver

Staff
Usetacould. Southern slang for a skill that one has lost.

For example:

John: Say Mary, can you ride a horse?

Mary: Naw, but I usetacould.