• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Advice for a Gaslamp Fantasy World

Azul-din

Troubadour
Well, that setting has been done quite a bit, so you can be confident about reception. Most, however, have been resolutely English. Choosing somewhere in eastern or even central Europe would at once make it seem exotic to most American and English readers.

How low the fantasy? Some simple magics of limited effect. You could also posit magic on the retreat in the face of urbanization and technological advances (another frequent theme). That would let you sprinkle in as much as you like while also arbitrarily limiting it. I think Gaslamp has a restricted time period, since it comes prior to electrification but after (or alongside of) steam. The 19thc saw such radical change in every aspect, you'll want to pay some attention to the era you choose. Here again, shifting the geography can give you some flexibility.
agreed! Think of the Austro- Hungarian Empire, pre-Victorian. Very complex and so little known in America as to be a slam dunk for any and all Fantasy ideas. There are no end to the principalities and noble houses plus a web of plots and counter plots to base your re-creation on. Not to mention Alchemy, Necromancers a la Doctor Dee. The Carpathians belonged to Hungary for quite a while, until WW1 I think. Which happens, btw, to be one of my favorite settings. For God's sake, Transylvania and Gyula 1 . If you can't make a Fantasy tale out of all of that, you're not really trying. (joke)

Raglan

Acolyte
agreed! Think of the Austro- Hungarian Empire, pre-Victorian. Very complex and so little known in America as to be a slam dunk for any and all Fantasy ideas. There are no end to the principalities and noble houses plus a web of plots and counter plots to base your re-creation on. Not to mention Alchemy, Necromancers a la Doctor Dee. The Carpathians belonged to Hungary for quite a while, until WW1 I think. Which happens, btw, to be one of my favorite settings. For God's sake, Transylvania and Gyula 1 . If you can't make a Fantasy tale out of all of that, you're not really trying. (joke)
The Austro-Hungarian Empire is fascinating, and a multi-ethnic state makes for great story potential.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
I'd recommend that you read Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. It's set mostly in the Austro-Hungarian Empire around the outbreak of the First World War. It's more steampunk but a decent story nonetheless. No non-human races to be had, an alternate history very similar to that of the real world but distinct enough to be called a fantasy and it can be read fairly quickly.

The Austro-Hungarian Empire would make a great setting because it wasn't as industrialised as countries like Germany and Great Britain. It has potential for exploring the impact of growing industrialisation, urbanisation and scientific knowledge and understanding upon magic.

And, what of the role of magic and the status of those folks who have the ability to do magic in a society that no longer depends upon them in the way it once did? Is there a very real possibility magic and those who do the magic may go the way of the typist and the switchboard operator in our lifetime?

Plenty to think about to be sure.

Raglan

Acolyte
I'd recommend that you read Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. It's set mostly in the Austro-Hungarian Empire around the outbreak of the First World War. It's more steampunk but a decent story nonetheless. No non-human races to be had, an alternate history very similar to that of the real world but distinct enough to be called a fantasy and it can be read fairly quickly.

The Austro-Hungarian Empire would make a great setting because it wasn't as industrialised as countries like Germany and Great Britain. It has potential for exploring the impact of growing industrialisation, urbanisation and scientific knowledge and understanding upon magic.
Thanks for the recommendation!

And, what of the role of magic and the status of those folks who have the ability to do magic in a society that no longer depends upon them in the way it once did? Is there a very real possibility magic and those who do the magic may go the way of the typist and the switchboard operator in our lifetime?

Plenty to think about to be sure.

I'm considering the possibility of making the magic directly tied to the religions of the world. Effectively, the "clerics" and "mages" are the same group, or at least related.

Raglan

Acolyte
Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm considering the possibility of making the magic directly tied to the religions of the world. Effectively, the "clerics" and "mages" are the same group, or at least related.
At the moment, I'm thinking that only a fraction of the population (irrespective of ethnicity or gender) can "tap into" the magic system. It should take years to acquire the skills needed to actually accomplish anything, and even then, it is still highly dangerous, with many users being killed or driven mad by using it. Definitely some shades of Lovecraft here, as the magic involves "interfacing" with the world's deities.

At that point, I think it would make sense that most people would prefer to use things like firearms and gaslamps, which are more reliable, and don't require the services of a mage who has a non-zero chance of significantly harming herself or others in the attempt.