• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Advice or help finding cultural consultants/collaborators?

Draco Roma

Dreamer
Hello!

For one of my projects, i base a lot of the cultures in the world off of real world cultures. However, I do believe it's important to be as authentic as possible. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to find cultural consultants or would be able to help out with my work. Specifically I have characters who are from cultures inspired by ganda the Yakut people of Siberia (and apologizes if i got anything wrong there)

Draco Roma

Dreamer
I'd like to clarify cause I just realized I may have been unclear

One of my characters is from a culture inspired by the yakut culture from siberia

Another is from a culture inspired by gandan culture from Africa

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I would submit, that barring something bizarre, the cultures these characters hail from will almost certainly be different to a greater or lesser extent than those cultures earthly counterparts, especially once magic and other races are factored into the equation. Even here on Earth, cultures change over time.

Draco Roma

Dreamer
I would submit, that barring something bizarre, the cultures these characters hail from will almost certainly be different to a greater or lesser extent than those cultures earthly counterparts, especially once magic and other races are factored into the equation. Even here on Earth, cultures change over time.
While that is true, it does not rule out the importance for a cultural consultant or collaborator. Even if these in world cultures are only inspired by real world cultures, I am still attempting to emulate something I have no experience with, and could very easily make a very insulting mistake.

You could approach students who are studying that area of research by sending a friendly email? You could find a consultant on such a specific area as ‘the Yakut culture of Siberia’ but you might be looking at paying a lot of money for that sort of information. Consultants are people who are at in the top of their field of study or skill. Students might offer you some information for free.

Otherwise my thoughts on this subject are that none of us as aspiring authors / published authors are out to purposely offend readers or use derivative or stereotypical information that is baseless or otherwise out of touch. It is probably is more difficult to write outside of your own culture in terms of thinking that you could easily get things wrong and cause offence - we live in a world where people get easily offended, especially if they know they’re dealing with someone who is not from the same background as them, but the thing is that whilst we have the job of not making our work obviously offensive, it’s never going to please everyone.

And with fantasy, as thinker x pointed out we are often dealing with a made up culture that might be inspired by something in the real world, but it is then far enough removed that it doesn’t need to be completely accurate. Accuracy is also relative to whatever you’re writing about too. If you were writing about a woman having a miscarriage in a fantasy setting - it’s still a miscarriage and get that wrong you could miss the mark dismally, but if you’re dealing with a desert culture - really there’s so much variability in that where you can be really creative.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I hate to admit it but Facebook and the like can be your friend here.
Language issues aside, joining a Facebook group of an area of interest and getting to know the people there can be helpful.
There are usually amateur historians who if approached correctly, with great respect, can offer up lots of information.
It might take some time and effort.

Draco Roma

Dreamer
You could approach students who are studying that area of research by sending a friendly email? You could find a consultant on such a specific area as ‘the Yakut culture of Siberia’ but you might be looking at paying a lot of money for that sort of information. Consultants are people who are at in the top of their field of study or skill. Students might offer you some information for free.

Otherwise my thoughts on this subject are that none of us as aspiring authors / published authors are out to purposely offend readers or use derivative or stereotypical information that is baseless or otherwise out of touch. It is probably is more difficult to write outside of your own culture in terms of thinking that you could easily get things wrong and cause offence - we live in a world where people get easily offended, especially if they know they’re dealing with someone who is not from the same background as them, but the thing is that whilst we have the job of not making our work obviously offensive, it’s never going to please everyone.

And with fantasy, as thinker x pointed out we are often dealing with a made up culture that might be inspired by something in the real world, but it is then far enough removed that it doesn’t need to be completely accurate. Accuracy is also relative to whatever you’re writing about too. If you were writing about a woman having a miscarriage in a fantasy setting - it’s still a miscarriage and get that wrong you could miss the mark dismally, but if you’re dealing with a desert culture - really there’s so much variability in that where you can be really creative.
Thank you, but it is personally important for me to represent my inspirations faithfully. I'm not just making something up from scratch, I am using the real world as inspiration. This is why it's important for me to talk with people who know these cultures I use as inspiration, so i can get their perspective and not misrepresent them.

Fyri

Inkling
Hello!

For one of my projects, i base a lot of the cultures in the world off of real world cultures. However, I do believe it's important to be as authentic as possible. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to find cultural consultants or would be able to help out with my work. Specifically I have characters who are from cultures inspired by ganda the Yakut people of Siberia (and apologizes if i got anything wrong there)
For researching on your own, you might check out

For specific people of said demographic, you might check out

All in all, it sounds to me like you might be looking for Sensitivity Readers, or readers who are part of a minority demographic who are also well-read and can help you write their culture a character from their demographic authentically and without harmful tropes. ^_^

pmmg

Myth Weaver
You can get the perspective, but youll probably still misrepresent them. You cant get 10 ppl to agree the sky blue, let alone a whole people.

Fyri

Inkling

All in all, it sounds to me like you might be looking for Sensitivity Readers, or readers who are part of a minority demographic who are also well-read and can help you write their culture a character from their demographic authentically and without harmful tropes. ^_^
Also, good to keep in mind, Sensitivity Readers are often paid. This is because they are being given something with the sole purpose of making sure it isn't generally harmful, offensive, or distasteful to people like them, keeping your own goals in mind. They are like beta readers doing a something extra for you. You can try to compromise with them if you can't afford their rates, but understand where they are coming from too.

Additionally, you can go to Goodreads and look for groups of readers or Sensitivity readers or I've also found help on Twitter (I laugh at the new name and ignore it). Twitter is actually how I found the Sensitivity Reader directory! I worked with Isabella Felix, and she is amazing!

Sensitivity Readers can also be a scary idea, but most of them are there because they want to help you write about their culture, not to gatekeep. ^_^

Draco Roma

Dreamer

Thank you so much. This is really helpful!

Fyri

Inkling
Also, good to keep in mind, Sensitivity Readers are often paid. This is because they are being given something with the sole purpose of making sure it isn't generally harmful, offensive, or distasteful to people like them, keeping your own goals in mind. They are like beta readers doing a something extra for you. You can try to compromise with them if you can't afford their rates, but understand where they are coming from too.

Additionally, you can go to Goodreads and look for groups of readers or Sensitivity readers or I've also found help on Twitter (I laugh at the new name and ignore it). Twitter is actually how I found the Sensitivity Reader directory! I worked with Isabella Felix, and she is amazing!

Sensitivity Readers can also be a scary idea, but most of them are there because they want to help you write about their culture, not to gatekeep. ^_^
Sorry, one more! XD

I've also accidently happened upon a Kiowa/Cherokee writer on Twitter who helped me ensure a certain worldbuilding aspect of my novels wouldn't be bad appropriation of Kiowa culture. I noticed his tribal affiliations and asked politely if he'd be able to help me, or if he knew someone that could. I made it important also that I didn't just use his thoughts, but that I got opinions from others in the Kiowa Tribe.

On Goodreads, I looked for autistic readers to give feedback on a prominent autistic character in my books. I did this by finding #ownvoices novels and scouring the reviews for people that spoke about their own autistic experience and how the book represented them or not. I also researched autism by going to youtube and finding #actuallyautistic vlogs about autism and scouring the internet for media that had (according to a multitude of #actuallyautistics) accurate/positive representation of autism. I also looked for what not to do. What media commonly gets or does wrong or too much of. Tropes to avoid.

So, you can find people who are more professional Sensitivity Readers, or you can find multiple beta readers that are part of your demographic. I stress multiple on the betas, because generally, these are people who casually read and may not be fully aware of things that affect others or even the majority of their demographic. In general, it is always good to get multiple opinions anyway, if possible.

Fyri

Inkling
I lied! This is the last post in a row.

I'm actually friends with a guy who is a Russian Culture/Literature Professor working on his PHD. He's from Azerbaijan, but perhaps he could help you? I can ask if you want!

Draco Roma

Dreamer
I lied! This is the last post in a row.

I'm actually friends with a guy who is a Russian Culture/Literature Professor working on his PHD. He's from Azerbaijan, but perhaps he could help you? I can ask if you want!
Thank you for all your posts! They're all very helpful. One of my biggest barriers at the moment is simply not have any social media accounts, but your advice is still really helpful. As well, I appreciate the offer to ask your Russian professor friend, since even if he can't help directly he might be able to point me in a good direction. So, I would like to take you up on that offer. Thank you so much for all your help!

One thing to keep in mind with sensitivity readers, especially if you pay them, is that the very act that you ask them for feedback means that they will find things to take offense at. Simple reason is that if you pay someone upwards of $500 to find offensive things in your writing, and they find nothing, how would you as the customer feel?

It's also a way to frame your mindset when you start reading. If you read with the intention to find offensive things, then you will be out looking for them and find fault in things regular readers will simply skip over.

That is not to say that they don't have value, just that you don't have to blindly accept whatever feedback they give you.

It seems ludicrous to me to pay someone upwards of $500 to find all the potentially offensive things in your book ! Wait…how does one get into sensitivity reading? I could do with $500 😂

In media terms, sensitivity readers literally are gatekeepers - that’s their job. ‘Gatekeeping’ is a legitimate term it’s just obviously got negative connotations about taking away freedom of opinion and speech. Thing is if I find I don’t like how an author has portrayed something in a book, I can always put it down.

Really though, isn’t that what a good editor does, points out where you can strengthen your writing, and not just the grammar but also the overall tone including pointing out things that could be taken offensively?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
There are some who live in a grievance mentality, and some can make a living out of it. Give them nothing.

Fyri

Inkling
General editors are not aware of everything. Real sensitivity readers are here to help make the world a better place. Representation matters, but it's not easy as a white person to write about POC characters. It's also not useful to get a white person to edit or look over a story to check if you are maybe making your Asian character sexualized or stereotypically The Smart One(tm). There are a lot of other harmful stereotypes and tropes that we are unaware of when we are not part of the community we are writing about.

Being writers, I believe we have a responsibility with what we write. If our goal is to make the world a better place, we can't just expect any editor to be able to tell us if we are writing a character with ADHD in a way that doesn't add unnecessary damage to the way people view and treat people with ADHD. Of course, it is impossible to do this perfectly—as mentioned before, not everyone in a community will agree on what is offensive or harmful and what is fine. Plus, I'm writing about multiple cultures and still struggle to find enough North Indian, Japanese, and/or Korean betas for my main characters. Still, if we take the effect our writing may have on the world seriously, I'd want to at least be aware of potential problems and be able to address them before it is in public hands. Thus, I also research where I can't find betas/sensitivity readers.

It's a lot of work, but it is so worth it to me when I hear someone say "I got so excited when I noticed X character stimming with magic. I can't get over how you wrote that," and not "Yeah, but she wrote about a meltdown in a way that made me feel uncomfortable and misunderstood, just like most media with autistic characters does. I knew I should have avoided this book."

Sensitivity readers are not gatekeepers. They aren't going to prevent you from publishing. They are only going to tell you what they notice about your story and what you may want to rethink or even, what you are doing well (and should maybe even do more of!). They're also there to work with you on revisions or brainstorming. Yes, they can be expensive. As with all art and freelancing services, that is an unfortunate truth. But in their daily work, they are literally preparing themselves to walk into a potential emotional fire to help you know if your story has painful content for people of their community that you are trying to avoid doing. Not all are so expensive though. You can find lower rates connected to general beta/editing services.

To answer the question of how to become a sensitivity reader... I mean, no one is running a business that says you can't market yourself as one (So make sure you really trust anyone you actually hire or use—checking for reviews is important). I feel like the question was sarcastic, but if you really want to consider it, look at your life and what you know about how the media affects people like you. Women can be sensitivity readers for representing female characters well. You've seen the memes about men writing women...boobily. So now, we have men hiring women sensitivity/beta readers to make sure they write their female characters well and authentically. Sometimes, this might include "It looks good here, but I might suggest adding _______ to the scene/character to really make X feel real/more solidified." Set your rates at what you think your service/labor would really be worth, and what you think people would be willing to pay.

Fyri

Inkling
That is not to say that they don't have value, just that you don't have to blindly accept whatever feedback they give you.
This is important for any kind of proofreader! Beta readers, editors, sensitivity readers, what have you. Remember, you are in control of your story and you are simply seeking feedback with anyone you use to read before you publish. Take what you think is helpful, leave what you don't. It's your story; you don't have to listen to anyone if you feel it is bad advice, no matter how much you pay. ^_^