• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

aftermath of rape

Really, I don't think you should be asking this question. If you ask us how we would truly respond, we're going to respond as we would if it happened in real life. But few of us have witnessed rape while being tortured in dungeons, and even fewer of us are shapeshifters.

It all comes down to the characters (you give them), the context (you put them in) and the rules of the world (you create).

His responses to the rape could be anything from an impotent, mute numbness, to "Get over it you stupid bitch!"

I must say, I really like the story set up - especially the idea that he could have prevented the rape. That already tells me he's a fairly ruthless character, and you must have had a ball writing the scene where she finds out he could have prevented it.

You need a twist though, based on what the reader (and the characters) think happened in that scene.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
If I were the shapeshifter, questions would haunt my mind regarding those "laws" and my choice to do nothing:

1) Why did I allow myself to be captured in the first place?
2) Why did I allow this girl to be raped and tortured?
3) If the guard tried to rape me, would I have allowed that?

And, assuming his shapeshifting skills are the reason they did escape:

4) Is seeing the rape the reason why I finally made the decision to escape and save this girl?
5) If she hadn't been raped, would I simply remain in human form and allow her and even myself to be tortured or killed?

Whether he broke his "laws" to escape or not:

6) Will I ever let the laws cloud my judgement again?
7) Will she ever forgive me?
8) Will I?

I have very strong feelings about rape and molestation. Now that I found out I'm the father of three daughters, those feelings can only get stronger as my girls get older. I can't even talk about this hypothetically involving them. Not hypothetical: I know some abuse victims. Some are raped by stepfathers; others are statutory rape victims who think that a guy in his 20s, 30s or 40s can be in love with a teenage girl. What's really disturbing is that some of the girls who told me about their exes who are my age are in their early teens. So early, that this ex-"boyfriend" (neither boy nor friend) was from their preteen days. One is still in a relationship with a 25-year-old. I all could do is tell the police what her classmates told me.

These people disgust me. So does our legal system which is way too lenient on these sleaze bags. I don't care if a rapist or child molester can be helped or not. I'll save my sympathy for their victims.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I thought I'd answer these, because the book is already written. I'm glad you've asked these, because it makes me think that in having already answered them, I've probably made the story believable already. Thanks.

1) Why did I allow myself to be captured in the first place?
Because SHE was captured, and couldn't get away, and I was afraid if I let her go, I'd never see her again. I just found out she might be the person I have been searching for in connection with some ancient dragons, and it turned out, this madman was looking for her for the same reason. Suspicious.
2) Why did I allow this girl to be raped and tortured?
I was fine when they were "interrogating" me, but since we were imprisoned, I hadn't seen her again. I was plotting how I might break my chains and go find her, when they conveniently tired of my blood and decided to make a party of the torture and intimidation.
3) If the guard tried to rape me, would I have allowed that?
Heh. I'd like to see him try, but then, my instincts are harder to control where my own health is concerned.

4) Is seeing the rape the reason why I finally made the decision to escape and save this girl?
Yes. At that point, I knew they were only going to kill us anyways. We had to get out, and I no longer cared about scaring her. If she was disgusted by what I am, at least she would be alive to hate me.
5) If she hadn't been raped, would I simply remain in human form and allow her and even myself to be tortured or killed?
I had hoped to escape in silence, but the opportunity never presented itself. I had no idea they were such brutes though. When I realized they would not negotiate fair, I did what I had to to save our lives, though it was a last resort.

6) Will I ever let the laws cloud my judgement again?
I wish I could say no, here and now, but I am fiercely loyal and can see myself torn between the laws which protect us all and doing the right thing in my own eyes.
7) Will she ever forgive me?
I don't ever deserve her forgiveness, and it pains me to think about it, because though I've never been anything but horrible to her, I never wanted to see her hurt.
8) Will I?
Not where she is concerned, no. I have unfortunately done many shameful things in my life, and have failed many people who were counting on me. Their deaths were my responsibility.

So I don't know whether that helps, but I have really thought about this character, and maybe I need to go back and write him as even more jaded than I already have him. He's a pretty conflicted guy, and frequently has violent and temperamental outbursts because of guilt he carries for his dead family. The incidents in the dungeon are only the newest scars he cannot heal alone, and since he never talks to anyone about anything, he's left alone to suffer in silence. The woman who's tortured is actually engaged in a sort of feud with him in the beginning of the book and they hate each other, but grow close as the book goes on. Two damaged broken people who find they have a lot in common.