• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Allow me to introduce myself:

Nathan_Boole

Dreamer
Hello! If you are reading this, then you are probably bored. Consider the following mental image for your entertainment: a midget fighting 1000 robot monkeys.

That said, I am Nathan. I heard about the Mythic Scribes community from the fine folks on the Roundtable Podcast, and I thought I would check it out, as I have been looking for a good writing group/community for some time.

I write and read sci-fi, fantasy, and anything else that catches my attention. Currently, I work as a janitor 40 hours a week and write in my spare time. I want to become a professional writer, and I really want to find a group of people who are as serious about going pro as I am, and who are willing to both give and take serious critiques of their work and mine. I hope this will be that group!

There are few things as motivating to an aspiring writer as going in to work and discovering that some drunk person puked down the side of a toilet, and it's my job to clean it up. So bring on the criticism!

So thank you all for being here, and for providing a place where writers can polish their work. You show me yours, and I'll show you mine. :p

--Nathan

Ghost

Inkling
I didn't think it was a fair fight, so I imagined the robot monkeys discontinued due to a glitch that makes them macarena every 90 seconds.

Welcome to the forum, Nathan_Boole! :happy:

Sparkie

Auror
Hi Nathan, welcome to Mythic Scribes.

Custodial arts, eh? I know what that's like. I've done that kind of work, along with many other kinds. Hang in there.

If you're serious about critiquing, then check out the Showcase once you have five posts in the other forums. I have a piece posted there now, matter of fact. I'd be happy to read your stuff when you feel you're ready to post it here.

Hope you enjoy what we have to offer!

Nathan_Boole

Dreamer
Oh man, I just imagined 1000 robot monkeys line-dancing around a bemused midget... Wow.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm looking forward to reading what you all have posted, and to posting some of my own work. Right now I'm in the midst of NaNoWriMo, which is a first draft where I don't even care about story continuity.

I took out guns in the first chapter, then I put them back in in the fourth chapter. Who cares? No one, that's who!

Incidentally, Sparkie, seems like a trend among writers that we have all done a large number of different jobs. Except for the professors. They seem to have basically just gone to school and become professors, then wrote. What is the strangest job you've had?

Sparkie

Auror
What is the strangest job you've had?

Hmm...

Well, I worked at a fire safety company for a while. They asked me to do all sorts of crazy stuff. I once stood on a rickety wooden ladder over a vat of molten salt in order to change a fuse link in a fire suppression system. That was both strange and dangerous.

What about you?

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Welcome aboard!
Considering that I am almost blind these days, my strangest job would have been as a grafic artist for a music label... although back then I had much better eyesight :)

Nathan_Boole

Dreamer
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! My own strangest job was not, perhaps, all that strange really. I did high-rise window washing for about two weeks at one point. After two weeks and cleaning the windows on a five story Holiday Inn while sitting on a board that dangled at the end of a rope, I decided it was not the best career for me.

I'm not afraid of heights, but there's something about attaching a suction cup to a window, pulling your entire body weight and a bucket full of soapy water out and up to reach the farthest part of the window and having the suction cup pop off. After that happened a few times (their suction cups were NOT the best) I called it quits. Heh

tsech365

Acolyte
Welcom Nathan!

I'm a newbie too. I'm writing a Fantasy series called The Devenshire Chronicles. Book One, The Stones of Andarus, has just been released as an e-book. I love to read and write just about every genre...with the possible exception of Romance. Not to say I won't take another shot at it someday.

Anywho...welcome!