• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Another Fae story

Iamfenian

Closed Account
Have been working on my memoirs which can be very depressing so I decided to try my skills on writing fantasy, specifically about the Celtic faes...I know fae storylines are saturated on and off the market but I think I have a pretty original plot and am going for it...just need to do A LOT of research as it has quite a bit of history in it PLUS I have never done fantasy so I need, at the very least, read some good fantasy books. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Filk

Troubadour
I think it would help if you gave an indication of what type of fantasy you wish to write. One of my favorite fantasy authors is Robin Hobb. Her Assassin trilogy is one of my favorites and is written in the first person.

Definitely Hobb.

George R. R. Martin, Guy Gavriel Kay, and Patrick Rothfuss.

I hear J. R. R. Tolkien's okay too..

Jess A

Archmage
Kate Forsyth. She does her own take on faeries. I am also doing something similar - made-up world with my own take on faeries. I can't wait to see what you come up with! But you must get hold of Kate Forsyth - she is an Australian author and absolutely fantastic. Her Witches of Eileanan is a series of 6 books. It is followed by another trilogy, and she writes kids' books too.

Forsyth: Adults Books

Another book I read was Juliet Marillier's Wildwood Dancing, a young adult book dealing a lot with faeries as well in historical Transylvania. Not very well written (I found it hard to read compared to her other books) but the way she wrote about faeries was intriguing and rich.

Iamfenian

Closed Account
Thanks to all for the suggestions...I have my work cut out for me as my story deals a lot with Irish history....specifically the 'battle' for the six counties in Northern Ireland.

Iamfenian

Closed Account
I have just purchased Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1) and am looking at Kate Forsyth's books. :D

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
I second the recommendation of Juliet Marillier. She's one of my favorite authors, though I haven't read Wildwood Dancing. However, she wrote the Sevenwaters series which involves Fey (especially in the last book, but there's some Fey involvement in the earlier ones) and a new series she's working on that has one book out definitely has a lot of Fey involvement. It's called Shadowfell and I LOVED it. The next book is due to come out in July.

I've been thinking about trying to write about Fey, or a race -similar- to them in certain ways, as well, but I haven't really known where to start because I don't know a lot about them (which is why I'd probably create a race that had similar features). If I can figure things out as far as a plot goes, I'm probably going to try. Maybe for Camp NaNo in April or July.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
For a Fae-specific story, I'd recommend O.R. Melling's The Chronicles of Faerie. The first book of the quartet is what inspired my own first Fae novel. ^^

I'm using fae in the serialized story I'm writing, Bjarheim's Shadow. But it's my own take, really. They've got the aloofness, the inherent magic, and so on, but they're also bigger than humans, live underground, and are really easily annoyed. They're just a component of the world, though; there's lots of other magic, and part of the story is exploring all these different forms that magic takes.