• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Any thoughts on developing a calendar for your book?

Drakevarg

Troubadour
Years in my setting are shorter than on Earth (288 days to be precise), and they have shorter months as a result (12 months of 24 days each). The months have pretty basic names and honestly just keep track of how many full moons there've been (First Moon, Second Moon, Third Moon, etc). Chief exception being the final month of the year is instead called Thirteenth Moon (or Vlemma Pnevma, "Spirit Gaze" in Draconic) because it's the only time of year that both moons are full at the same time (normally they trade off, with one being full that month and then the other the next).

There are three main reasons for me bothering to keep track of this:
1) That way I don't need to use names derived from Earth's myths and history in my world that is clearly not Earth.
2) The interplay of the two moons has a significant impact on how the spiritual world behaves.
3) By making the need to keep an eye on that a fairly universal concern among scholarly types, I don't need to worry about coming up with 9 different names for each month based on the language and history of the culture in question - they're all going to be calling it essentially the same thing.

Days of the week are a bit trickier. Most cultures use an 8-day week, with the exception of the Fterota, who have a six-day week on account of using Base-6 math (their hands only have six digits). Conveniently enough (and actually unintentionally), this means apart from having four weeks to a month instead of three, their calendar works out basically the same otherwise.

I haven't put much thought into naming weekdays yet, simply because it hasn't come up. There's no particular mystical significance to weeks, it's just a convenient way to divide up a month into more immediately relevant chunks. And conversationally you can just describe things in a relative sense ("it happened X days ago" instead of "it happened last wheneversday"). That said, I know I'll need to get around to that soon, especially given my latest game design pet project, which WILL require me to let the player know what day it is. Still no idea what I'm gonna do for that.

As for explaining it all to the audience... I look at it the same way that I look at every other aspect of worldbuilding: if you treat it as an obvious fact in-world, the audience will either pick it up eventually or never get around to caring. And either way works fine. I don't need them to sit down and appreciate the detail work I put into things totally irrelevant to the story at hand.

I'm an analytical loon. I see life as cycles, connections, and minute sensory details, and this is reflected in my meticulous worldbuilding. Different creatures and cultures evolve in different biomes, different biomes are in different climates, climate is determined by wind and ocean currents, wind and ocean currents follow the topography, the topography is determined by geologic activity, geologic activity is caused by tectonic plates. I stop there because I can't do all the math changing the size of the planet or tilt of the axis would require. Likewise, different cultures will have different calenders, though most are astronomical. Seasons may be divided by weather patterns, like annual flooding or monsoons. As for naming months and days, I'm not sure how long that's been a thing, but I'm betting not most of the past 25,000 years. Mention a feast on the first Glurgday of Boomawary if you want for a fun cultural tidbit, but keep it to a minimum.