• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone tried Book Review Co-op?

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

I stumbled across a site called Book Review Co-op yesterday. It's set up for indie authors to exchange reviews for each other. Here's how it works:

You pay $9.95 to join the site, and then choose either the 5 for 5 program (you post 5 reviews and receive 5 in return) or the 10 for 10 program. Same price for each one. You then select a book from the list available (it's not obvious how much choice you get or whether you have to take the next on the list regardless), you buy the book using the site's link, you read it, write a review and post the review on Amazon (US, UK and Aus). The reviews don't have to be 5*, it's whatever you really think. When you've done enough reviews, your book gets on the list to be reviewed in return. You can then pay another $9.95 for more reviews.

Some thoughts. Firstly, not sure if this contravenes Amazon's rules on paid-for reviews, because although you're not paying directly for the reviews (the fee is for site maintenance), you are paying someone to facilitate reviews, guaranteed.

Secondly, the website is very bad, and considering the fees charged, I'd expect a much slicker, more professional appearance.

Has anyone tried it? Or have any thoughts about it?

ETA: forgot the link: Book Review CO-OP | Reviews for Indie Authors By Indie Authors

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I haven't tried it, but it sounds interesting and ethical. They make it clear that you are to offer legit reviews, and it's not even a review swap because the people reviewing your book are not the ones that you review.

My main hesitation comes from the fact that you're probably going to end up reading some really, really bad novels and have to make the decision on how to rate them.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
My concern is that Amazon may see this as a scheme, and will catch on to it. If Amazon thinks that an author is trying to game their system, repercussions could follow.

My concern is that Amazon may see this as a scheme, and will catch on to it. If Amazon thinks that an author is trying to game their system, repercussions could follow.

This whole thread brings to mine a recent conversation I had with someone. We were shooting the proverbial breeze and I was emailed a very funny product review.

I read it and nearly had Dew shoot out my nose....
IDK how Amazon's reviews work, but I can say for sure there are some people on there who should be doing stand up comedy!

As for the co op... My only concern would be that in order to review you have to give at least one star, and seriously I have read some things that should not even get that. And to blast someone's "hard" work so openly goes against my grain.

Anything that asks for money in exchange for reviews (even if you're participating by providing reviews) sets alarm bells off. Assuming it's all on the level, I can't really see a specific problem, but... I don't know. My Spidey-sense is tingling.