1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Anything on demons and demon possessions???

Discussion in 'Research' started by Eztlirald Clarinda, May 31, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Eztlirald Clarinda

Eztlirald Clarinda Dreamer

So I have this new addition to the world building and plot of my story involving demons and demon hunters. However, to make it as accurate as possible, I want to do some extensive research over demons, their power, their community, demonic possession, and anything related to the above. Anything you can share?

2. Chasejxyz

Chasejxyz Sage

Man that's really vague. Are your demon hunters like WoW and they're demon-y? Or like Demon Slayer and they're just Regular Dudes that hunt demons? Are your demons religious or not? What the heck is a demonic community?

Rosemary Tea likes this.
  3. Rosemary Tea

Rosemary Tea Sage

There's no scientific concept of a demon. There's no consensus in religion or folklore as to what demons are or even whether they exist. So what exactly are you researching?

You could look up various religious and folkloric traditions around demons, but you would learn different things. What the Catholic Church says about demonic possession isn't quite the same as what the Ayurveda says, although both include the concept.

Since there's no consensus on demons, you're free to make them up. The demons in your fiction can work any way that makes sense to you, as long as you're consistent about it.

Eztlirald Clarinda likes this.
  4. Aldarion

Aldarion Inkling

5. Avery Moore

Avery Moore Scribe

I'd suggest researching demons from multiple different countries and cultures. Here's a wikipedia list of different types of demons. There are lots. :)
    List of theological demons - Wikipedia