• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Are little people worth having in a setting

Solusandra

Troubadour
What about Europes dwarves then? They've existed as part of pretty much every European culture for as long as we've been recording history. Why'd they never make their own town outside of myths? Lots of myths of little folk cities and nations in europe. Never any evidence, but great stories.

Saigonnus

Auror
I actually believe that they exist (even to this day), but are rare enough that they never had and probably will never really have suficient population to set off and start their own civilization. I think they were just part of the Human civilization; because technically, they are Humans not "Dwarves" per se.

Many things from fantasy (like Albinism, Vampirism and Were-wolf syndrome) come from real conditions that afflict people; but most are rare. I think the same is true of the "legends" of European Dwarves.

Solusandra

Troubadour
I was referring more to the disconnect between literal dwarves like Dinklidge and his 200K cousins in the EU and the lack of dwarven societies. They didn't get stuck in the mountains, a desert or an island. Though for the pygmy's, I hardly think you could call the congo a desert.