• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

As a newcomer to fantasy, I'll appreciate your input

Hi, thanks for letting me in. I'm in the middle of what I call a "fun fantasy"--a gentle spoof of a lot of things, and a not so gentle satire of others.

I chose to mix fantasy and even some dabs of SF with a more straight forward spoof because I think it will sell better, to be honest.

My question is this--I have my hero on a quest in which he has to fight a giant, but here's the thing. I also have a genie who could give him untold magic tools to use in the fight. But it seems to me, and your opinion is welcomed here, that if I give the hero magic to aid him, then it's not much of a quest! Who couldn't beat a giant with that kind of help. No conflict.

So what's your opinion? Can I use a few magic tools--such as the giant has cat's eyes and can see in the dark (up to total darkness) and he can also see invisible objects. So that with his size means he's not totally helpless.

Thank you.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello, and welcome to Mythic Scribes =) You seem to be writing a sub genre that is called Comic Fantasy, and that's great because too many writers these days are writing stories that are super serious in tone instead of having a little more fun... That sub genre sells well, take for example the Discworld series that is a satire of many Fantasy elements and stories

My answer to your question is this: If your hero has magical tools to aid him in his quest, you definitely need to give the giant something that could counter the magic so that there is a fight!! That magical sight sounds great, but I would give the giant the power to throw fireballs or something as well =)

Thank you for replying so quickly, Sheilawisz! I don't think I can give the giant any other magical traits because --okay here it is: he's Dr. Frank Einstein's Monster, Lem--(dare I give this away? Dr. Frank Enstein controls him by saying "Go, Lem!") If you miss the joke I'm afraid my entire wip is along those lines--puns, acronyms, etc. And I've checked out Discworld and (sorry I don't remember the names) but others who write or have written in comic fantasy. (I appreciate the genre tag. Feel better knowing what I'm writing instead of calling it "the thing'! :)

From what you've said, I guess my best bet is to lessen the scope of the genie's magic to just one or two things. From the situation there will automatically be a fight. Lem was created to be a Guardian Of The Head (GOTH) and the hero is there to steal the head or the crown it's wearing.

Hope that's not more info than you wanted to hear! :rolleyes:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
That's so funny!!! =) I love your ideas... Well, I have to agree: to lessen the scope of the genie's magic that helps your hero in his quests would be the best way to ensure that very funny and unexpected things will happen in his adventures!!

Thank you for the encouragement! Actually though Lem only plays a small part in a book of many parts. Starts with a short prologue in 1550 BC(E), goes to 1120 AD/CE (I orginally had that BADD and ABC--Before Artificial Dating Division and After BADD Changeover--but I figured that was a little much, so I put both ways of writing them now. Don't want to cause offense--at least there, I don't! :) Then to 1864 all framed in a contemporary frame.

I've a ways to go, but you sure smoothed my path by thinking it's funny. It's so hard to know since as you know humor is so subjective...and I do touch on some very esoteric subjects of the kind conspirators love! I even have dedicated my book to the conspiracy-minded of the world, because sometimes they get it right! And naturally Secret Societies are a big part of it! But none you or anyone else has ever heard of. Add magic and fantasy and I hope I've whipped up The Elixir for success. ;)

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
From what you've said, I guess my best bet is to lessen the scope of the genie's magic to just one or two things. From the situation there will automatically be a fight.

I've read one series which somewhat parodied fantasy (the Enchanted Forest Chronicles), and I've played a couple of video games which do as well. I'm pretty sure ALL of them had a genie at some point. My first thought, and I'm very sad to say it because you clearly have a bit of talent, is that instead of toning the genie's powers back, you should probably replace him with something else all together. That said, the main conflict in this kind of comedy work is usually a character's personality. The genie just doesn't want to cooperate or refuses to do so in the way that's expected.

If you're serious about writing comedy, there's a website I want to recommend, tvtropes.org. They've actually categorized a lot of the cliches you would expect to see in television (which are often the same as those in literature), and the majority of them come from superhero/fantasy/sci fi shows, comics and video games. I think there's a site somewhere which specializes in Literature, but this one will probably have more content.

Let me post the link directly to an element I'd suggest you need to know, the Genre Savvy character.

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
Why not have the genie be a novice and his/her spells be totally inept..backfiring more times than they work? This could possibly add to the comedic/parody effect you're trying to achieve.

Devor, I appreciate your reply--even the "bit of talent"--but you're obviously the Master of this genre and I'm not even aspiring to be an Apprentice! I read the link you sent and couldn't understand what it was getting so worked up over. Over my head maybe.

As for my genie, she's a jeannie. And just a minor character in the book--except for a few scenes where she's a device, nothing more. As for writing comedy, I'm not serious about it. I'm serious about writing fun. I hope it's fun-ny as well, but humor is much too individual for it to be boxed in, imo.

That said, I do appreciate your time and interest.

Reavor, I'm afraid my post was misunderstood by you--and Devor?--I only wanted to ask about the conflict level if the hero had magic tools given to him by a genie--the usual: invisiblity elixer; special sword; extremes of sight etc.

Nothing about the djinn--in this case, the singular genie. So I don't feel I need to achieve any more with her than I have. But I am grateful that you took the time to answer me and offer your help. Thank you.

Another way to go would be to have the hero refuse the easy way out:

Genie: I could just kill him with magic.
Hero: Nah, that would make too much sense.

That would probably be a solid parody point if only because so many people have made fun of the lord of the rings for not using the eagles and just flying to Mordor.

Elder, it's really strange that you should suggest that because I'd already written this (and debated whether to use it or not!):

Genie: “With this trio of gifts, I’ve done the best I can to offer you protection from the monster. From now on you’ll be on your own. Just don’t suffer a sudden bout of hubris and take on the monster if you can outrun him. After you’ve gained the Crown.”

Hero: “Nay, though I would not give you insult, but as a man with a destiny–or mayhap two–I cannot run from a fight with Dr. Frank Einstein’s Monster Lem! I am not a coward to slip away into the nearest crack like grain avoiding being smote into grist by the grinding-wheel. Nor to sulk like a hyena away from danger.”

“That sounds very brave–but wouldn’t you rather lose your honor than your head? Give it some thought. Meanwhile, go in peace and happiness and good health. . ."

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Thank you for the encouragement! Actually though Lem only plays a small part in a book of many parts. Starts with a short prologue in 1550 BC(E), goes to 1120 AD/CE (I orginally had that BADD and ABC--Before Artificial Dating Division and After BADD Changeover--but I figured that was a little much, so I put both ways of writing them now. Don't want to cause offense--at least there, I don't! :) Then to 1864 all framed in a contemporary frame.

I've a ways to go, but you sure smoothed my path by thinking it's funny. It's so hard to know since as you know humor is so subjective...and I do touch on some very esoteric subjects of the kind conspirators love! I even have dedicated my book to the conspiracy-minded of the world, because sometimes they get it right! And naturally Secret Societies are a big part of it! But none you or anyone else has ever heard of. Add magic and fantasy and I hope I've whipped up The Elixir for success. ;)
You're welcome, and those dating systems made me laugh again =) My best wishes for your writing!!

maybe make the genie all powerful, or how you want, but make the execution of the magic flawed, so that when the genie acts, it puts your main character in mortal peril.

Elder, it's really strange that you should suggest that because I'd already written this (and debated whether to use it or not!):

Genie: “With this trio of gifts, I’ve done the best I can to offer you protection from the monster. From now on you’ll be on your own. Just don’t suffer a sudden bout of hubris and take on the monster if you can outrun him. After you’ve gained the Crown.”

Hero: “Nay, though I would not give you insult, but as a man with a destiny—or mayhap two—I cannot run from a fight with Dr. Frank Einstein’s Monster Lem! I am not a coward to slip away into the nearest crack like grain avoiding being smote into grist by the grinding-wheel. Nor to sulk like a hyena away from danger.”

“That sounds very brave—but wouldn’t you rather lose your honor than your head? Give it some thought. Meanwhile, go in peace and happiness and good health. . ."

Great minds think alike. Well, I guess one great mind and one lazy teenager, but close enough, right? ;)