Ask about wilderness survival, ancestral skills, herbal medicine, and field surgery!

Discussion in 'Research' started by SerpentSun, Jan 10, 2017.

1. SerpentSun

SerpentSun Apprentice

Hello! :) I thought perhaps I might offer advice before asking it of others. There should be a more concise way to list my areas of knowledge, but it's bedtime in my timezone and that is the shortest title I could think of. I apologize.

There are a great many topics that interest me, but none as much as anthropology and natural history. Ecology, botany, herbalism, zoology, anatomy, psychology....I've been studying it all since I was a small child, long before I knew the proper names for the subjects. Every book I received as a kid was about plants or animals.

Now I live on and off the grid, a nomadic hunter-gatherer whenever I choose. I go "grocery shopping" just walking down the road. When I visit my family in town, I apply my skills to caretaking and landscaping. Two not-so-different tasks haha.

Our ancestors knew many secrets, but much has been lost to the centuries. I just claim to know a piece of the puzzle. Any advice I give is for literary purposes only; don't try anything I suggest at home, and don't sue me if you do. The trees bring both tricks and treats.

Wondering how to distill water? Build a fire in a snow shelter? Treat an injury back in the caveman days? Need something like nerve gas or novacaine, but your story takes place before the Industrial Age? Do you want your survival scenes to be as bloody but brilliant as possible?

Ask away! :)

2. DragonOfTheAerie

DragonOfTheAerie Istari

I know i'm going to need this thread a whole freaking lot. :p

3. Eyeofdreeg

Eyeofdreeg Acolyte

Say you are in a forest, and all of the timber and grass is wet. Can you still make a fire?

4. Alyssa

Alyssa Lore Master

What are some natural astringents and coagulants?

5. Malik

Malik Scribal Lord

Absolutely. Find a dead limb the thickness of your arm or bigger. Ideally, on a dead tree, because you're going to need a dead tree; live trees are useless for campfires. (Cutting down a live tree and making fire from it is wildly inaccurate but a common trope in fantasy. Fantasy authors need to get outside more.)

Cut the limb off, split it, and shave the very center into matchstick-sized pieces. These will burn if you take pains to not let them get wet.

Small dead twigs on the lower trunks of trees will often burn if the limbs above them have shielded them from the rain. Here in the Northwest, we find these on the bottom few feet of live fir trees pretty easily.

Pitch and sap, if available, will also burn, even when wet. Scraping up gobs of sap onto these twigs and matchsticks will make your tinder burn hotter.

If you have a way to cut up the tree and split the pieces into quarters, you can build the fire on top of a Swedish Candle, and it will burn for a very long time. A Swedish Candle looks like this (not me in the video):

Again; the center of a dead log is typically dry unless it has been submerged. If you can light the center of the wood on fire, it will burn its way outward, drying much of the rest of the wood as it goes. It will smoke and sizzle, and you'll even see water bubbling out of the wood sometimes, but it will burn.

6. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

lol. Richard Cypher in Wizard's First Rule was a wood's guide and he was legit. It was the first time I have seen that because usually it bugs me. I was pretty much born in the woods and spent a number of years on Search and Rescue and I was shocked by how accurate Terry Goodkind was in a lot of his wilderness skills.