• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best Fantasy/SF Cartoons?

Mythopoet

Auror
Ok, here's my list of the best SFF anime out of what I have watched so far:

Ah! My Goddess!- A slice-of-life romance with fantasy elements. A young man accidentally calls the goddess helpline while trying to make a phone call and a beautiful goddess appears before him ready to grant his wish. Without thinking he says, "I wish for a goddess like you to stay by my side forever." His wish is granted and their life together begins.

Attack on Titan- A story that straddles the line between between fantasy and sci fi with a low tech setting that takes a mostly scientific approach to a threat to humanity in the form of humanoid giants who lack intelligence but have an instinct to devour humans.

Blast of Tempest- Urban Fantasy story about a clan of magic users and their internal power struggles that drag two young men into a fight to save the world.

Bleach- Urban Fantasy revolving about a young man who becomes a shinigami (death god) who helps lost souls pass on to the underworld and fights those that have turned into malevolent spirits called Hollows.

Chobits- Near future sci fi slice of life story that deals with the relationship between humans and "persacoms", personal computers in the form of androids.

Cowboy Bebop- Sci fi series following a group of bounty hunters in their adventures throughout the solar system in a slightly dystopian setting.

Death Parade- When humans die, they are sent to a place where they are forced to play a game as though their lives are at stake. Set up like a bar, where the arbiters serve both as bartender, game master, and judge of whether souls go to heaven or hell.

Durarara!!- Urban fantasy starring an eclectic group of characters including a man with superhuman strength, a man who manipulates an entire town from the shadows, a girl who possesses a cursed sword within her body and a Dullahan searching for her stolen head.

Fairy Tail- A high fantasy set in a world where wizards are organized into guilds where they can make their living working on the job offers received by the guild. The Fairy Tail guild is the most powerful and notorious guild in the land, so naturally they are always getting into big trouble from battling dark guilds to defeating megalomaniacal possessed wizards to participating in the grand magic games.

From the New World- Far future sci fi set in a world where humanity developed powerful telekinetic abilities that caused long periods of chaos before a more rigorously structured society was built to maintain peace. 6 young members of the society discover its dark history and secrets and try to build a better future.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood- Two young brothers try to bring their mother back from the dead through alchemy and pay the price for the failed transmutation with their bodies. As they search for a way to bring their bodies back, they stumble upon a world-girdling conspiracy that must be stopped before countless lives are sacrificed.

Gurren Lagann- Another SFF straddling story set in a world where an oppressed humanity lives in underground villages. But two young men have a dream of seeing the surface and reclaiming it for humanity... with giant mechas, of course.

I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job- slice of life that asks the question: what happens to all the heroes in a world where the dark lord is defeated and everything is now at peace? They have to get day jobs, of course.

Is This a Zombie?- Fantasy harem anime starring a young guy who was killed and brought back as a zombie by a cute but aloof necromancer. A magical garment girl who accidentally gives her powers to the zombie (who must now take her place, garments and all) and a vampire ninja with wicked sword skills also join their household, for various reasons.

InuYasha- Modern day school girl accidentally travels back in time to the feudal era and shatters a powerful gem, causing trouble across the land. She must team up with a half demon with an attitude (and later a lecherous monk and a demon slayer who has tragically lost her whole family) to keep the jewel shards from falling into the hands of the evil demon naraku.

Level E- Sci fi show about an earth where aliens have secretly been infiltrating humanity for a long time. Prince Baka comes to earth and hijinx ensue.

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic and The Kingdom of Magic- Fantasy story inspired heavily by the Arabian Nights. War and political intrigue grip a world where magi, masters of djinn and wizards all vie for power in various ways.

Mirai Nikki- Supernatural thriller story where the god of space and time invents a game to decide who his successor will be. 12 candidates are given diaries that tell the future in various ways. The last one standing wins.

Parasyte- Sci fi story where the world is invaded one night by mysterious beings that come to be known as parasites. They cannot live independently, but burrow into a human being and take control of the body through the brain. One young man manages to stop his parasite from reaching his brain and ends up stuck with a parasite in his right hand. The two must learn to cooperate as their world is thrown into chaos by the human-eating parasites now lurking among humanity.

Princess Tutu- Fantasy story within a story. Duck wants to help Muto recover the pieces to his lost heart and can do so as the beautiful princess tutu, but Drosselmeyer is pulling strings from the shadows to make Duck's story unfold as dramatically as possible. Warning: contains a lot of ballet.

Psycho Pass- Near future sci fi set in a version of Japan where a computer system has been developed that can accurately assess any person's mental stability and likelihood of committing a crime. Anyone whose crime coefficient is too high is pursued, apprehended and killed if necessary. Detectives with the Criminal Investigation Division discover that the system is not perfect, as there is a psychopath who can pass any scan on the loose trying to cause chaos.

Space Dandy- A sci fi comedy about a trio of alien hunters. Very episodic to the point where in some episodes everyone dies and it just isn't mentioned next time. However, many episodes feature amazingly imaginative alien worlds and beings.

Steins;Gate- Time travel thriller where a group of misfit, amateur scientists accidentally manage to send messages back in time and stumble upon an international conspiracy that will ultimately turn the world into a cruel dystopia.

Sword Art Online- Near future setting where full body virtual reality games have been invented. On the launch day for one such game, 10,000 players log in only to find that it is impossible to log out and that dying in game will kill you in real life. The only way to escape is to defeat all 100 levels of the game.

The Book of Bantorra- Fantasy story set in a world where when you die, you become a book-like record of all your memories that other people can read. The story follows the armed librarians of the Library of Bantorra who possess powers used to protect the books and the humans who will one day become them.

Trigun- Sci fi western that takes place on the planet gunsmoke where Vash the Stampede is a wanted criminal with a huge bounty on his head. As a result, Vash is constantly having to fight off the bounty hunters who come after him. But Vash is actually a man who firmly believes it is wrong to take any life. So how did he come to be known as the humanoid typhoon?

That's one impressive list of impressive anime. For the Western world, I'll add:

Batman. Done.

Or rather, the whole DCAU dynasty from Batman The Animated Series (and yes, even its digression with Superman) to Batman Beyond (the real risk-taker, and above all the Return of the Joker movie) to the overdose of fun that is Justice League. DC TV since then has been... variable, but Young Justice might be the best of all. And of course, most (I'd almost say all) of the DC animated movies.

Marvel shouldn't be overshadowed either. Its 90s Spider-Man and X-Men shows never looked as good or felt as mythic as Batman, but after a time they got higher ratings. Spectacular Spider-Man was better yet (the animation almost looks worse, until a fight starts and you see what they saved all the money for), and X-Men: Evolution proves that the "highschool version" of a show can sometimes be good stuff. Avengers fans, be sure you skip the "Assembled" show (and all the other shows) that Marvel's running right now, and catch Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes from just a couple years earlier.

It's not true that "DC owns only the small screen and Marvel the big one." They've both given us plenty to watch.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
If we're getting into old superhero shows, then I should throw in Transformers: Beast Wars. There's one thing in particular that they did really well. In the first episode a bunch of blank transformer pods were released into the atmosphere, and throughout the show they drop down one by one, creating a big race to find the new character and get them on their side. Combined with the very small number of characters on the planet, it makes new character introductions pretty dramatic.

They did indeed. They even had an early episode about this that pointed out the problem of racing cross-country to rescue a pod when only the villains had a flight mode-- but the lead hero had a rocket mode-- but Megatron predicted he'd use it... Movement powers, the great neglected part of heroes' arsenals, had their moment.

And so did everything else on that show. As Megatron would say, Yeesss. :cool:

Last edited:

Addison

Auror
I took a stroll down memory lane. My favorite fantasy tv shows growing up (not counting preschool years) were, and continue to live in my heart: U.B.O.S (Ultimate Book of Spells) Mummies Alive, Scooby Doo(may not count) Wakfu, Ultra Maniac, Class of the Titans, Huntik, Dragonflies, and Sabrina's adventures. These are shows I'm posting that I watched and have not been listed. Courtesy of my kid siblings I've seen both Avatar series.

There was a cartoon adaption of a french fantasy novel series but the title wasn't the same as the book, otherwise I'd find it. Three kids, one is the daughter of Beauty and the Beast. The protag is learning magic, living at a mansion with he rmother and talking dog. The professor is a blue dragon. This ringing a bell for anyone?

Last edited:

Addison

Auror
Dark Wing Duck! Ducktails! Captain Planet and the Planeteers! I will be adding, apparently I hoarded the VHSes of my favorite shows.

Mythopoet

Auror
Dark Wing Duck! Ducktails!

I've begun buying these shows on DVD for my kids. (They were favorites of mine as a kid, especially Duck Tales.) My 4 year old has been watching Darkwing Duck all day for the past 3 days. At least it's better than most of the nickelodeon crap these days.

Addison

Auror
I agree. One morning I saw my kid siblings watching a show called "Pair of Kings". Oh-my-god. And the board of education wonders why test scores are slipping! So I've been digging up all the shows I used to watch and having them watch them.

Some other shows they watch now: Magic School Bus, Animaniacs, Gargoyles, The Mask tv series, Martin Mysteries, WI.T.C.H, Teenage Fairy Tale Drop Outs.