1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

cards to trigger story ideas

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by MommaKat, Nov 21, 2021.

1. MommaKat

MommaKat Acolyte

I don't remember where I just saw it, but someone posted about using a specific deck of cards to help with developing story ideas. I was wondering if anyone has done this using a tarot deck. I have a couple, and, while I haven't done it yet, I am considering doing a spread to see if I can prompt my characters to do something other than stagnate.

2. Chasejxyz

Chasejxyz Inkling

You can use whatever you want to trigger ideas. Some people like prompts, some people like music, some like images...if tarot works for you, cool.

3. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

I have used a set of Story Teller cards that are a mix of Tarot and NPC cards. Definitely light and fluffy, they had plot and character ideas as well as each having a unique picture with lots of "hidden" clues. So they also looked very pretty. They were useful when throwing out ideas for a young [9-year-old] writer to bite their teeth into.

4. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Sage

I like tarot but have had mixed success using it as a prompt. I found it too restricting, but perhaps you can have better success—let us know if you do.

My first novel begins with a tarot reading, but that's a different story :)