• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

cards to trigger story ideas

MommaKat

Acolyte
I don't remember where I just saw it, but someone posted about using a specific deck of cards to help with developing story ideas. I was wondering if anyone has done this using a tarot deck. I have a couple, and, while I haven't done it yet, I am considering doing a spread to see if I can prompt my characters to do something other than stagnate.

Chasejxyz

Inkling
You can use whatever you want to trigger ideas. Some people like prompts, some people like music, some like images...if tarot works for you, cool.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I have used a set of Story Teller cards that are a mix of Tarot and NPC cards. Definitely light and fluffy, they had plot and character ideas as well as each having a unique picture with lots of "hidden" clues. So they also looked very pretty. They were useful when throwing out ideas for a young [9-year-old] writer to bite their teeth into.

Ned Marcus

Maester
I like tarot but have had mixed success using it as a prompt. I found it too restricting, but perhaps you can have better success—let us know if you do.

My first novel begins with a tarot reading, but that's a different story :)

Charcuterie

Dreamer
I am usually triggered in part by real life experiences, whether they themselves are real or not is debateable, as well as the stories of other authors/screenwriters. History and psychology also provide a lot of lessons.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
What you're looking for is a book or deck or writing prompts, and there are tons. (We also call this sort of triggering "inspiration," instead.) I use something a bit different, but this is just my process. I have an old Slinky, a nice little set of gaming dice, a fidget spinner, a couple of prompt books, and there we have it. A nice little Muse lure.

I use these as prompt cards. https://www.amazon.com/Faeries-Oracle-Brian-Froud/dp/0743201116/

And as for prompt books and websites and card sets, now that you're armed with a more specific description, you're off! You can find them in just about any genre. My team writing urban fantasy, so this one comes in handy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086RBTZGW/

Last edited:

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
The whacky voices in my head are all I need. It's filtering out the gibberish that's the trick, heh heh. The notion of prompts would never have occurred to me.

Do they have cards for energy and focus? Caffeine just doesn't do it anymore, heh heh.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I think it was the caffeine drink the natives drink before hunting elephant with spears in Africa... I always wanted to try some of that stuff, heh heh.

Personally I find coffee utterly pointless, I can drink a pot without effect... unless you add some Irish whiskey, THEN there's a point, heh heh. I remember the night of drinking God knows how many Irish coffees and then bicycling in downtown Omaha's Old Market district... some of the best cycling ever, LMAO.

Ah, so you either had your coffee at Swedish strength or you drank an awful lot of US-strength coffee...

Mad Swede

Auror
I think it was the caffeine drink the natives drink before hunting elephant with spears in Africa... I always wanted to try some of that stuff, heh heh.

Personally I find coffee utterly pointless, I can drink a pot without effect... unless you add some Irish whiskey, THEN there's a point, heh heh. I remember the night of drinking God knows how many Irish coffees and then bicycling in downtown Omaha's Old Market district... some of the best cycling ever, LMAO.
I'm reminded of Douglas Adams' comments on the British obsession with tea. He said that the reason others don't understand that obsession is because they've never had a good cup of tea. I'd say the same is true of coffee. Unless you've had a really good cup of coffee (strong without being bitter) then you probably won't understand.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Eh, I've had some the of best teas in the world in China, although not the stuff the Chinese sell to no one... and... Yes, I liked them and spent too damned much money on buying some, but I've never understood "obsession" with anything. Psychological and best I can tell, physical addiction, have little effect on me, either. In respect to coffee and tea it's likely far more a cultural/early life thing, and people's conviction that it's just a matter of trying the "right one" is a load of crap Starbucks coffee. I've heard it about wine, tea, coffee, foods, etc etc. It's a human condition to explain why somebody doesn't like what you adore. I have a touch of sociopath streak in me or some such that is obsessed with nothing and nobody. I would say Adams drops whales on planets, so is unworthy of trust, heh heh.

I'm reminded of Douglas Adams' comments on the British obsession with tea. He said that the reason others don't understand that obsession is because they've never had a good cup of tea. I'd say the same is true of coffee. Unless you've had a really good cup of coffee (strong without being bitter) then you probably won't understand.