• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Vocabulary Index Cards

Filk

Troubadour
This is the best idea I have had in a while. Anytime I encounter a word that I do not know or would be at all hesitant to use in a sentence I write it down. The word then gets an index card with a dictionary definition, which will often surprise me and allow for a greater understanding of a word I am clueless about or only partially understood. Then when I am bored i.e. playing flash games or staring at my story vacantly waiting for it to write itself I will flip through them. I have been doing this for about a year now and the stack is a few inches high.

I often find that people will scoff at some of the words that I have in the pile as exoteric and commonplace, but when I take the cards away from them and quiz them they can never get the dictionary definition. Being precise and having the right words helps to make a good writer.

Filk

Troubadour
I should also add that I am obsessed with index cards for notes and lists and stats and on and on.

SeverinR

Vala
Good idea, I like to increase my vocabulary and use words good. ;)
but just remember:

Big words should be taken in slowly, enjoyed, fully digested so they flow out easily,
Not gobbled up quickly to be coughed up like a hairball.

Just tossing out big words will not impress people, its how you use them.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Filk - I think you are starting a meme here... I've just started a wiki for words...
[for me it's maps - i am a true and unrepentant cartophile]

Jess A

Archmage
I think this sort of system sounds great - particularly when using words which might be associated with history. My book has a setting similar to historical Renaissance period - and I find having the correct names for certain things useful. So this system could work in that way as well.

saellys

Inkling
I agree with Little Storm Cloud--this would be great for medievalisms. Not just important archaic terms for particular occupations or military stuff, but minor words that might get thrown about in conversation and make dialogue seem that much more realistic. I was going to start a tumblr for that purpose, but I might just do this too!

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Two good words:

mordacious - adj - biting or caustic

A guy used this in a story for my writing group. Loved it.

kerfuffle - n - a commotion

How can you not like this word?