• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Character Archetypes

pskelding

Troubadour
While I was randomly checking writing blogs and things I happened across some good links about character archetypes and how to use them as building blocks for characters. I'm not going to post all the links here because there were many and it's a lot of reading. But I did find this Slideshare presentation very useful and I think it's quite well done.

Character Archetypes

No registration required and standard disclaimer - I in no way benefit from you viewing this.

Learn and enjoy!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
You know, I was JUST reading about those the other day! That's weird. I was curious about them because I downloaded a sample on my Kindle that involved character building and archetypes were mentioned briefly. I'll give it a look!

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Strange that the presentation draws parallels among some pretty weak examples... many of the characters that fall in to the same category on that presentation are very different.

Bart Simpson was in a trickster category with Heath Ledger's Joker, which is entirely different. Plus, mischievous and deceptive are very different characteristics. The 'attractive' female love interest was either an underage girl, a car, or an ogre. The 'young' hero ranged from about 10 (Harry Potter), to perhaps 30 (Neo).

Many of the example characters for 'can I teach this boy or girl?', didn't even consider it. Morpheus was focused on Neo being the one. Dumbledore had his plans for Harry and stuck with them. The choice wasn't left to Gandalf. Obi-Wan was the one trying to convince Luke to join him.

The 'dark hero' archetype was quite varied. Perhaps Batman and Wolverine have a lot in common - but Batman is tortured by his past where Wolverine doesn't know about his (for the most part). Wolverine is dark because he likes to be, Batman is dark because he feels he needs to be.

As for sidekicks, I can't remember R2-D2 needing to be saved, and Harry probably needed to be saved as often as Ron. The caption 'mostly actual children' is meaningless when two thirds of the examples break the stereotype. I would not say all of those mother figures are intended to be beautiful. And witches, not all of them were old and ugly. I wouldn't call Hannibal a destroyer, nor Megatron particularly verbal.

There are more, but I'm too tired to cover them all, and my post is a mess enough as it is!

pskelding

Troubadour
Yes you are correct Johnny, this presentation is very basic and not as advanced or detailed and some of the information I've been reading. I simply meant it as a primer.

And yes I'm tired too I didn't even spell the thread name correctly!!

pskelding

Troubadour
I welcome our new Black Dragon overlord... :D

I will gather some more links to more detailed character archetypes over the weekend.