• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

character names , any idea ?

Yaron P

Scribe
hello , so I started a book and I tried to think of a good names , but I am not very good at this all I got for a name is something like "Deviluminous" or so , which is too long annd quite annoyoing to write each time I mention him and names generator aren't any good either they like giving names for instance "The Curious Courtier" .

Have you tried chat GPT? It might give you some good ideas to get started with. You have to be quite specific when you give it prompts though I would say.

BearBear

Archmage
I use baby names indexes and search on meanings so that the meanings match the character in some way. So my characters often have temporary names until they're fully fleshed out.

Yaron P

Scribe
I use baby names indexes and search on meanings so that the meanings match the character in some way. So my characters often have temporary names until they're fully fleshed out.
this is one way to do it haven't thought of it . thank

Rexenm

Inkling
I often check the names of the babies check list, so that I am up to date, on popular names.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
If you just type fantasy name generator into goole, you will come up with some.

Here is one.

https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/

When I go for names, I try to make them sound regional. I have some rules I follow, such as this nation is mostly hard sounds, this one has a lot vowels and such. I also base them on real world regions. I sometimes use the random name generator and pick one I like or one I can change into something I like.