• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

character types

as a kid i remember there were typical types characters associated with fantasy stories. thief, wizard/sorcerer
, ranger etc. wandering anyone can list them and any link to to basic info about each character type in order for me create my own version even if break the conventional rule of typical of what used to be expected

I am a character writer, sometimes I use archetypes but I don't do stats or character sheets. The most important thing in fantasy is for your characters to be real, to be what they are. You pretty much have the archetypes but a simple Google for fantasy archetypes should provide what you are after. Others may be more useful but I never start with archetypes, they aren't useful to my writing style so I don't consciously use them.

well i have an idea for 4 pov story with different archetypes but with larger set main characters but having four arch types being narrative characters as well being part of main characters all i need to figure out an enemy bad enough to be able tell a story. this the same story with 12 main characters of a mercenary army corp i know that at least 3 archetypes will be kicked oiut of the keep based fight with each other the wizard/sorcerer is all ready part of the mercs and thanks for info so far

Last edited:
writeshiek33 said:
well i have an idea for 4 pov story with different archetypes but with larger set main characters but having four arch types being narrative characters as well being part of main characters all i need to figure out an enemy bad enough to be able tell a story. this the same story with 12 main characters of a mercenary army corp i know that at least 3 archetypes will be kicked oiut of the keep based fight with each other the wizard/sorcerer is all ready part of the mercs and thanks for info so far

Sounds like you have a lot of work to do, not knowing your baddie and all...

yes true but working main prject for now so i have to put this on side for the monent so i dont get derailed

TWErvin2

Auror
In my fantasy works there are different types of spellcasters, based upon what they do/magic they work with: Necromancers, Sorcerers, Healers, Enchanters, etc., but I don't have character classes so to speak.

There are the king's elite infiltration soldiers, there are serpent cavalryman and their aft-guards (dragon riders), m'unicorn cavalrywomen (females riding unicorn/horse crossbreeds), wyvern scouts (wyvern riders), heavy cavalry (horse mounted), beast masters, mercenaries (soldiers that hire their services), personal guards among others.

Although not really narrowed exculsively among soldiers, there are crossbowmen and archers, pikemen, etc., based on their specialty/training. Someone could be a 'thief' but it's not necessarily a 'character type.'

Unless there is a specific reason for a character to identify themselves as something (a ranger , a thief, a warrior, an assassin, an illusionist, a warrior monk, a rogue, etc.) such as a guild or recognized specific training, I am not sure the term is useful.

A character who fought as a gladiator in the pits and survived, might logically call himself (herself) a gladiator, but in the end it all depends on the world and culture you (the author) establish.

TWErvin2 said:
In my fantasy works there are different types of spellcasters, based upon what they do/magic they work with: Necromancers, Sorcerers, Healers, Enchanters, etc., but I don't have character classes so to speak.

There are the king's elite infiltration soldiers, there are serpent cavalryman and their aft-guards (dragon riders), m'unicorn cavalrywomen (females riding unicorn/horse crossbreeds), wyvern scouts (wyvern riders), heavy cavalry (horse mounted), beast masters, mercenaries (soldiers that hire their services), personal guards among others.

Although not really narrowed exculsively among soldiers, there are crossbowmen and archers, pikemen, etc., based on their specialty/training. Someone could be a 'thief' but it's not necessarily a 'character type.'

Unless there is a specific reason for a character to identify themselves as something (a ranger , a thief, a warrior, an assassin, an illusionist, a warrior monk, a rogue, etc.) such as a guild or recognized specific training, I am not sure the term is useful.

A character who fought as a gladiator in the pits and survived, might logically call himself (herself) a gladiator, but in the end it all depends on the world and culture you (the author) establish.

Well said, I have to say I agree TWErvin2

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
as a kid i remember there were typical types characters associated with fantasy stories. thief, wizard/sorcerer
, ranger etc. wandering anyone can list them and any link to to basic info about each character type in order for me create my own version even if break the conventional rule of typical of what used to be expected

Those are D&D / AD&D type characters. They also changed a bit with each new edition of the game, with new ones being added and old ones modified.

First warning - game type characters - particularly D&D / AD&D type game characters do not translate very well to straight fiction. Game characters are dependant on stats, hit points, and class; with fictional characters the emphasis is on personality and experience. At best, game characters could be used as a very rough guideline or template for fictional characters.

That said, from memory:

Fighter - basic sword swinging warrior type and most common character class. No real restrictions (except for time and culture) as to weapons and armor.

-Barbarian - subset of the fighter, disdains magic, capable of beserker rages.

-Paladin - subset of the fighter, holy warrior, MUST be lawful good alignment, can work limited healing and protective spells in addition to fighting ability

-Ranger - subset of the fighter, wilderness warrior, skilled hunter, tracker and guide. Gains limited magical ability at higher levels. Probably a steal from Tolkien.

Rogue or Thief - Criminal, expert in concealment, lockpicking, pickpocketing, and climbing (in most editions). They preferred smaller weapons and usually stuck with 'lighter' armor (studded leather).

-Assassin - a varient of the rogue, originally with many thief abilities. A murderer for hire. In later editions, the Assassin gained minor spell casting abilities as well.

-Bard - in later editions a varient of the Rogue, with some thieving abilities, but also some (wizardly) spellcasting abilities.

Cleric - A priest, granted a number of spells at the behest of his or her deity. Expected to win converts for his or her god, and conduct missions on behalf of his or her god. Clerics are the primary healer types in the game. They can wear armor but are limited to certain types of weapons (usually a mace or warhammer was about as good as it got for them in the older editions, unless there was some specific weapon associated with their deity).

-Druid - subset of the cleric, with an emphasis on wilderness type spells.

Wizard - primary spellcaster, usually of scholarly bent. Spells once cast are erased from the mages mind and must be learned anew from spellbooks (in the older editions, I belive this changed with the newer ones). Wizards command a vast range of magic from fireballs to conjuring creatures from other realms to influencing the weather to building walls and structures in minutes - but possess almost nothing in the way of healing spells. Unlike other character classes, they cannot wear armor and are pretty much limited to daggers and staffs for melee weapons.

Additionally, there were and are slews of subclasses, many of them culture dependant.