• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Children’s books

Rexenm

Inkling
Do you write for children, or still read their books. There is less restriction on books, and movies as well, these days, as well as themes. There is a nook in everyone’s bookcase, for children’s books, I’d imagine. I ask this, because whilst I once regarded children’s books as easy, I know think them hard. What goes on in the mind of a child, when they hear about these things, and are they amongst the minority when voicing their opinion.

There is a lot of good things to say about a lot of the fantasy children’s books I’ve read, but what about family books. There seems to be a market for it in movies?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...there are a number of children's books I have memorized. I am an expert are 'Horton hears a who', and 'dont let the pigeon drive the bus', but...my kids are older now.

I dont write for children, and dont think I ever will. I dont think children under a certain age should be reading my books. I am not sure what that age is exactly, but I think 15+ might be appropriate. Course, some kids can take a lot more than others, that is not for me to decide.

I do think, if you want to make a killing in the market, make stuff parents can share with their kids, and you will roll in it.

Once, back in my reviewing days, I told someone I thought they would be really good at writing children's books and they really did not like that, so....lesson learned. I thought it would be a good thing for them, now I dont point people in that direction anymore.

Rexenm

Inkling
Once, back in my reviewing days, I told someone I thought they would be really good at writing children's books and they really did not like that, so....lesson learned.
I don’t get told a specific type of book. Just a book. Still half and half.

Skyfarer

Dreamer
Don't really write for children necessarily, though I've got some more family-friendly things on the backlog. As for reading, well, I suppose it depends. I'd still read Edge Chronicles and early Harry Potter, but I also had read those as a kid already, so I don't know how much that means. Suppose it depends on whether it skews more towards younger or older children.
Once, back in my reviewing days, I told someone I thought they would be really good at writing children's books and they really did not like that, so....lesson learned. I thought it would be a good thing for them, now I dont point people in that direction anymore.
Hey, don't you let a negative response put you down, that's absolutely something encouraging and worth mentioning

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Hey, don't you let a negative response put you down, that's absolutely something encouraging and worth mentioning

Well...in that case, not if they think they are writing on an adult level, which I must add, I did not think they were. I was trying to gently steer them where I thought they might have more success. Truth be known, I wondered if they would have had success in any age group, but...I dont know what became of them. I suspect they are not currently writing.

Rexenm

Inkling
Well...in that case, not if they think they are writing on an adult level, which I must add, I did not think they were. I was trying to gently steer them where I thought they might have more success. Truth be known, I wondered if they would have had success in any age group, but...I dont know what became of them. I suspect they are not currently writing.
In that case, I wonder if children are better at writing children books, having those ideas, because I hear that adults have most of the problem, which lets children problem solve - having two minds about it, I leave the insilicle at rest.

Skyfarer

Dreamer
Well nevertheless, sometimes it's something people need to hear, that their writing is just poor. Whole thing about asking for feedback, gotta take the rough and the smooth. And if they were just looking for praise, well, that kind of humbling helps everyone. Bottom line I guess, don't worry about it.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Sometimes is an operative word. Sometimes coddling is better then hard truth. They come in all shapes and sizes. Some, I dont think really have it and maybe never will, and some have it is droves. As a reviewer, I do try to fulfill my job of pushing in the right way where my better judgement tells me it is needed. Very few people can get only negative feedback and find it in them to keep going.

Anyway, that was a one off a long time ago. I accept their contribution to shaping me as a reviewer. Did they accept what I said to them....I think they did not. But...its history now. I dont care anymore.

Rexenm

Inkling
Well nevertheless, sometimes it's something people need to hear, that their writing is just poor.
Children are not pushovers. And they like serials.

Trying one way, or another, will always come back with the arrival of a knew element.

There are many different age groups within the blanket statement ‘children’. I don’t sit and read my two year olds books for leisure. Children’s books that are classics for an older age group such as The Secret Garden I have read as an adult. I think in many ways it’s harder to write for children and to be able to relate to them.

Rexenm

Inkling
I think in many ways it’s harder to write for children and to be able to relate to them.
I have heard that before. In my case, I relive my childhood. I don’t read with the same fresh perspective, but comprehend a broken hearted level a bit slower, when I relive those old stories.