• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

fantasy books

David@2011

Scribe
Hi. I am a writer that has been writing my story for about a year now. I was wondering if any of you would want to talk about your or my own stories.

David@2011

Scribe
I have learned to not make things to complicated with the story and to also to not add to much for the worldbuilding.
i specialize in epic fantasy and dark fantasy so my story is filled with dozens of very complex characters. At times it can feel overwhelming to give every character attention but i try not to stress about that.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I am not sure how to approach this subject. I will say, I dont want to talk about my own story, not until its published. It will be published soon. I am waiting on an editor. Some may be less squeamish than me about posting their stories up, and that is up to them.

You say you have been writing for a year. If this is true, I could offer some reflections on my early stages of writing. For me, I am writing now my seventh novel length piece. The first two will never see the light of day. While I liked them for what they were for, they are too much work to bring them up to a caliber I would like, and no longer hold my interest. I am currently in book four of the tale I do wish to publish. I expect it to be five books long.

When I was first starting out, I know I felt immense freedom to write. I just put down anything that seemed interesting to me, and had a lot of confidence that it would be intelligible. But then somewhere, I was shown it was not, and a lot could be improved. Thus begins the endless quest of editing. Which led down a long road of growth, craft, art, science, and process. I suspect you are on that journey too. When we start, the end game is to have a finished product, and it will be great, and everyone will love it. But the reality is, great is hard to achieve, and everyone will not love it. And everyone who reads it will find something to pick on.

And to that all, I would say, keep at it, the journey is the reward, and don't let others get you down.

So what is your story about?

Last edited:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
My best advice, at least before caffeine, is to never tell your writing partners that you want to get 'ambitious.' The book on the left, the one heavy enough to kill a man, is what ambitious looks like in Urban Fantasy. :D 180k words. I am not smart.

20211117_134637.jpg

You say you specialize in Epic and Dark Fantasy. Do you have a completed manuscript? The curious must know!

David@2011

Scribe
my story is extremely complicated it would take me hours to explain it but basically it is a sci-fi fantasy dark fantasy game of thrones style story. so hundreds of years in the future AI took over the world and enslaved humanity the humans redirected an asteroid to the planet and destroyed all the AI computers and even things as small as calculators. because of this humans created the geserats they are trained for extremely complex math problems and military strategies often called human calculators they have about 300 iq. over time humans developed teleportation called wormholes humans spread to practically every planet in the universe eventually they were taught magic by the elves from the other planets after many wars an emperor of the universe was crowned shaddam the first after that shaddam was translated as emperor so anyone could crown themself shaddam but they would probably be killed because of all this the universe was plunged into a medieval society religion was also greatly expanded and became a huge influence on many peoples actions. also the dilue-plaxi were created they are also nicknamed the witches of the mind because the are very similar to geserats they focus on self control using your voice to control people ect.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Sounds a bit more like Dune than GOT. All of that is the setup, what is the conflict?

And while the story is extremely complicated, you're gonna have to learn to bring down to the elevator pitch.

Is book one completed?

I'm working on my own first novel, just hit 117k words and expect to be finished the first draft in the next week or so. It's been a bit of a slog at times and an absolute blast at others. What the first few months taught me was that I, personally, need a word quota to make me sit down and write. A lot of the time I went over it, or fell just short, but having that number to work towards always helped with putting into place what exactly needed to happen next and at what pace. Everyone has their own way of finding the drive to write, but daily, slow consistency did it for me.