• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

College/Major

Shadoe

Sage
I've been retired for years, now, but my foster daughter is just getting started in her career, though she's still not sure what that will be. She has a BA is Psych, has only 100,000 in debt and has realized her degree will never pay her a single cent. Over 40K a year, and while it was fun, and she did do well in Latin, that money was basically down the drain.

Get and education that will earn you a living and WATCH DEBT!!! Do not go 10,000 in debt for a job that pays 35K a year. The math just ain't there!!!

Tech schools are a real good buy, as are good community colleges. I'd hate to be making that decision in this economy.... GOOD LUCK!
I'm going to have to both agree and disagree. On the one hand, absolutely do not go into any crazy debt by getting a degree you can't use. Tech schools and community colleges are a great way to get the first two years out of the way for a lower cost - but make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that their credits will transfer to a four-year college before you go to one. Some of these places get you in with the promise of an associates degree, but that is never going to get you a job. And, if the credits you paid for at that school won't transfer to a four-year accredited college, you've wasted your money. If you want a decent job you MUST have a four-year degree. In most cases, it doesn't even matter what you got your degree in, it just matters that you have a four-year degree.

One thing you might do is get a job at a large company working in some small capacity - janitor, mail room, what have you. But see if they do tuition reimbursement. THEN go to college and make them pay for it. :)

Cinder

Scribe
I'm currently attempting my A-Levels. Providing I get the right grades, I'm off to university to study Creative Writing! I'm hoping to get into Liverpool John Moores.