• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Comming up with a name for a fantasy world; how do you do it?

Vidar

Scribe
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to come up with a name for my fantasy world but find myself being tainted with what has already been done, middle earth, third earth etc etc and would like to know how everyone else creates the names of their worlds?

My world is loosely based on the ancient real world similarly to "Middle earth" but with a comparitive religion to modern Christianity, there are no Elves, Dwarves and trolls etc in my world but other than humans there are to be werewolves, vampires and other religious based entities such as daemons.

Just some idea's on the thought processes of naming a world would be a big help!

A

Astner

The worlds you mentioned all have the suffix earth in them, so I'm going to assume that's something you want yourself. So High earth?

You have to be more specific if you want more examples.

Jared

Scribe
Names come from somewhere and are generally specific to each people. Look at the cultures and religion you have.

Is it really-really-really like modern Christianity? Could you adopt (don't just take, people will spot that) words from Hebrew, Coptic, Aramaic, or some other older language? Were there older cultures that existed before your current ones? We get Terra and Gaia from previous civilizations.

Was there an old civilization that conquered the entire known world? Could you imagine that that ruler's (or tribe's or lineage's) name would be adopted into a name for the entire planet (like a large-scale version of France)?

What's the culture? How do they see the planet? Is it something that comforts, something that inspires fear, or something that is a wild mix?

You mention supernatural creatures. Do they come from the earth? How would that affect the cultures' views of the planet?

Hope those thoughts help.

A

Astner

Planet Earth is written כדור הארץ (read from right to left) and is pronounced kadur ha'arets.

But it the world — as in the speck of dirt we live on — was commonly referred to as תבל and pronounced tevel in the old testament, and the world — as the universe — as עולם and pronounced olam.

I'd probably use a compression cipher. To create something similar but unique.

Mindfire

Istar
What real-world region is your world most like?
If it's very Nordic-influenced, I'd suggest a name like Nemgard or Mennerheim. If it's British or Celtic, I'd suggest something like Malleigh or Galvalon. If it's your standard "land o' barbarians", something like Kalkaroth or Bakaren will do. It all depends on what kind of feel you want to evoke.

FireBird

Troubadour
Names aren't important to me. I use placeholder names and whenever I find or come up with a name I like I'll write it down. At the end I'll take all the names on my list (There are hundreds) and place them into the story accordingly. There is no reason to get hung up on a single name.

First of all, does the world require a name? Most people just say "the world."

And even if you do use an actual name, it should probably be something very basic and simplistic, because the world is kind of a fundamental thing. We just call ours "Earth", because that's what ancient people saw when they looked down at what they were standing on. Names like "Terra" or "Gaia" are just Earth is different languages. The Swedish word for Earth is "Jord" which was the name of the norse earth-goddess, comparable the the greek Gaia.

As for Middle Earth, that's a bit of an oddity, but I believe Tolkien derrived it from the Norse concept of Midgard. "Gard" literally means "enclosure", and can refer to a farm or estate, but in this context is probably closest translated as "realm". Another word the shows up is "heim" or "heimr", which literally means "home."

The norse basically imagined their cosmology as similar to their own society, divided into territories belonging to the various peoples - Midgard, Asgard, Vanaheim, Nifelheim, Alfheim, Svartalfheim, Jotunheim, Muspelheim and Hel(heim). These names literally translate as: The Middle Realm, Realm of the Aesir, Home of the Vanir, Home of Mist, Homes of Elves, Home of Black Elves (dwarves), Home of Giants, Home of Muspell, and Home of Hel.

So it's not very complicated. What the people call their world will depend a bit on how they think of it, but it will probably still boil down to something like "the stuff we're standing on" or "the place where people live."

My world is loosely based on the ancient real world similarly to "Middle earth" but with a comparitive religion to modern Christianity, there are no Elves, Dwarves and trolls etc in my world but other than humans there are to be werewolves, vampires and other religious based entities such as daemons.

See, calling it Middle Earth or anything similar implies that it's actually in the middle of something larger, and that there are other surrounding realms. In other words, you would need a complete cosmology, not just a single world.

Try looking up the medieval concept of Celestial Spheres, Dante's Divine Comedy and so on. That might give you some ideas.

Last edited:

Ireth

Myth Weaver
What if there's a deity or deities involved who name the world, as Aslan did with Narnia? I would think that is a different question. I'm pretty sure Narnia doesn't mean anything, much less anything having to do with earth.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Probably the name would come from the religion or mythology of its inhabitants - ideally an old civilized nation which had lots of contact with other, newer nations.

Even if you use a name, don't get too attached to it. I developed a lot of my draconic language, and in it I came up with the word IIo (that is two I's, not ILO) to describe the universe and primary world in the universe. Over time (and many miscommunications), I finally switched it to Ao.

I left IIo in as the main draconic word, but have it having been bastardized by the common races to make the word Ao. Still, even if I am telling stories from a draconic viewpoint, I will probably use the bastardized versions just to avoid people screwing it up.

A

Astner

Ao? As in alpha-omega?

Anyway, using both Iio and Ao would make it more interesting, especially if people made varying theories about whether or not they are the same.

Jabrosky

Banned
I don't have a name for my whole current world yet and probably don't really need one yet, but I name my civilizations after the natural elements they worship (e.g. Sun, Moon, Earth, Water, etc.).

Vidar

Scribe
I have found a name now that I feel fits pretty well to my overall idea, the Latin word for Expanse "Spatium".

I had come up with "Jordheim" until I realised its used in an MMO! lol

A

Astner

I personally feel that directly translated words are a bit transparent, especially now when we have Internet access. It literally boils down to: What is this word in Latian? Let's Google it! That's why I take the extra step ciphering it by changing a segment of the translated word or twist it to fit a pronunciation I prefer more.

Though I'll admit that Spatium is a bit difficult to work with because spatial is an English word, and -um a common suffix in Latin.

Either way to a native English speaker would put an emphasis on the r in Jord. But it's actually closer to Jōd.

So you can work with that creating Iōrd-, Iord-, Jōd-, Jod-, and then end it with some prefix like -iem, -ien, -ard, etc. An example would be Iordien.

A structure like that would make it more unique and seem more creative once you put it into Google's search engine.

FatCat

Maester
I agree with Astner about direct language translations, thats a bit lazy in my mind. Personally, I just get an idea of what the cultures are like and roll with it from their, so usually its within the same styling as country/personal names.

Vidar

Scribe
I personally feel that directly translated words are a bit transparent, especially now when we have Internet access. It literally boils down to: What is this word in Latian? Let's Google it! That's why I take the extra step ciphering it by changing a segment of the translated word or twist it to fit a pronunciation I prefer more.

Though I'll admit that Spatium is a bit difficult to work with because spatial is an English word, and -um a common suffix in Latin.

Either way to a native English speaker would put an emphasis on the r in Jord. But it's actually closer to Jōd.

So you can work with that creating Iōrd-, Iord-, Jōd-, Jod-, and then end it with some prefix like -iem, -ien, -ard, etc. An example would be Iordien.

A structure like that would make it more unique and seem more creative once you put it into Google's search engine.

What Cipher technique do you use out of curiosity?

A

Astner

The closest to a direct cipher would be the Hill cipher. Of course the word that comes out of it has to sound good.

Ao? As in alpha-omega?

Anyway, using both Iio and Ao would make it more interesting, especially if people made varying theories about whether or not they are the same.

-_- never even thought of that. No, just the phonetic pronunciation of IIo, although "ee-o", "a yo" "ee-yo" as well as even "eye -o" are all acceptable pronunciations.

Jabrosky

Banned
The problem with naming a whole world, especially a multicultural one, is that each of your various cultures will probably have their own name for the planet assuming linguistic diversity. I don't want to privilege one of my cultures over the rest by choosing their name for the world.