• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Conflict without blade, powder, or blood

So, in fantasy, the conflicts tend to be physical in nature. They tend to be fights. However, I'm beginning an undertaking wherein two thirds f the MCs are not fighters and will not be in any kind of a fight. Their conflicts will be in legislative halls and the courtroom. I read republic of thieves and that was beautiful in terms of non violent conflict. What suggestions would you have or what have you done to deal with non-violent conflict.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Have heated debates like in the movie 12 Angry Men. Conflicts sometimes arise when all people involved have the same level of authority or have the same level of risk. The personal goals or bias of your characters can also bring about conflict. present are in charge, they can regulate how discussions proceed.

Conflict can play out as any kind of melodrama. Power and rivalry, love and jealousy. Both are examples of non-violent struggles and they may fuel your action encounters. Oppression can also highlight non-violent struggles, the lives of slaves or the subjects of an oppressive monarchy. I like to include melodrama as well. I think it is an essential part of any story that opens up character building and provides growth. Most of my stories begin politically somehow, this way I can describe my world from top to bottom. Great question.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Have heated debates like in the movie 12 Angry Men.

To be fair, a man's life did hang in the balance. Or on a knife's edge. So, no direct violence, but threatened violence.

The best example I can think of would be a fantasy love story. I can't think of any examples, because I stay away from romance novels, but to judge from book covers there must be plenty out there.

In general, though, this feels more like a case of "let's see if we can do it." Looking for molds to break.

Last edited:

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Most, if not all, stories have an emotional element to the story, and it tends to be the most important aspect. What's most upfront and obvious in a lot of fantasy is things like sword fights and great battles, but what gives those things meaning is the emotions and the conflicts behind them.

Emotional conflict comes in many forms like fear, doubt, etc. and it's the characters dealing with that in the face of obstacles that helps connect the reader to the story.

So I'd say it's the same thing with non-physical conflicts/obstacles. As long as you get the emotional element right, the reader will be along for the ride whether that ride is a tour through a battlefield or courtroom.

C

Chessie

So, in fantasy, the conflicts tend to be physical in nature. They tend to be fights. However, I'm beginning an undertaking wherein two thirds f the MCs are not fighters and will not be in any kind of a fight. Their conflicts will be in legislative halls and the courtroom. I read republic of thieves and that was beautiful in terms of non violent conflict. What suggestions would you have or what have you done to deal with non-violent conflict.
Tension between characters, tension within characters (flaws, etc). You absolutely do not need violence in order to create conflict. I do it in my romances all the time. Really what it comes down to is a give and take sort of thing that happens in the mix of plot and character. Their flaws will make learning lessons difficult and get create tension on the page for the readers.

Taking your example in mind, the courtroom is a wonderful place for this. Not only do you already have the added tension of legal troubles, trials, judges, and public opinion to take into account, but also the characters involved in the courtroom drama have their own agendas. Some will come out winners, others losers. Make the stakes high and that will help with your conflict. By high stakes I mean people's lives and relationships. The gallows await, sort of thing.

By the second half of my latest book, there are only two beings left alive on this fantasy planet, and snow is falling constantly, and there is barely any sunlight. The main character is trying to understand why all of this is happening, while trying to live with severe emotional trauma. The second character is a simulacrum of the mc's dead lover.