• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cover Art (done for fun, book's not really ready)

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Trick,

I like it. Much, much better than the original.

If I might make a few observations, however (considering I don't know anything about graphics):

1. What's a "theif?"

2. Seems like there's a lot of wasted space. Since we're all worried about what it looks like at thumbnail size, seems like we'd want to maximize the size of the font and of the image.

3. It seems like you would want the wolf tattoo really to stand out. Does the blood dripping onto the tattoo help with that or just obscure it?

Trick

Auror
Trick,

I like it. Much, much better than the original.

If I might make a few observations, however (considering I don't know anything about graphics):

1. What's a "theif?"

2. Seems like there's a lot of wasted space. Since we're all worried about what it looks like at thumbnail size, seems like we'd want to maximize the size of the font and of the image.

3. It seems like you would want the wolf tattoo really to stand out. Does the blood dripping onto the tattoo help with that or just obscure it?

A "theif" is a creature that latches onto the brain and perpetuates grammar and spelling mistakes through bad habits. Nasty little buggers.

Everything's bigger on the below version, as well as cleaned up here and there. I think the blood on the tattoo (Devor's idea, the whole cover basically was) is good but perhaps too much? Just droplets instead maybe?

attachment.php

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I like.

Could you make the main title taller?

Also questioning "the" in "the mark of a thief..."

Isn't "the mark of a thief" kinda the tagline? Does that make "Criminals are not (aren't?) the only villians" a sub-tagline? Is that too much?

Trick

Auror
I like.

Could you make the main title taller?

Also questioning "the" in "the mark of a thief..."

Isn't "the mark of a thief" kinda the tagline? Does that make "Criminals are not (aren't?) the only villians" a sub-tagline? Is that too much?

My hope is to morph Darkling Sun into the series nickname and "The Mark Of A Thief" is really the first book. The "Criminals..." line is just to fill that space, it doesn't need to be there but I felt like something should be. As for Aren't, I couldn't bring myself to use a conjunction on a book cover; do you think it reads better with 'aren't'?

See this one for taller title and less blood on tattoo:

attachment.php

EDIT:
The coolest thing about this cover is that I could use it to establish a theme very easily. The next one could be a hand holding a scepter dripping blood, which would suit that one better. Or it could be his sister's hand holding a different weapon.

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Trick,

Definitely like the taller title and the reduction of blood.

I don't think that anything is needed to fill space, and I just don't see taglines being used much.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I think it's looking strong, but as you get closer to publishing your book, I would still suggest sending it to a professional graphic artist. There's just a level of quality that you can't hit on your own without the right experience.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Adding to Devor's point about getting a pro graphic artist, here are trade paperbacks of my brother's comic. Note he does his own cover art, and does it well. He has a colorist who uses ink to color. The only art not done by Joe or TJ… the words "the underburbs." My brother and his friend commissioned a friend to create custom lettering back in 2006. It was written in white, allowing Joe and/or TJ to color the logo and such, but they don't mess with the font. It's one of the few artistic talents the duo lacks. (In fact, my brother doesn't even use a font for the comic panels. The lettering is done 100% by hand!)

10730826_10152412207472876_8588239889323913859_n.jpg
The three paperbacks cover issues #1-11. I think he's releasing his 15th issue at this weekend's comic con in New York, Philadelphia, or wherever he is right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

mt_jupiter

Dreamer
Absolutely regarding a professional graphic artist. You could give an editable version of your graphic file to him/her and do a collaboration if they're open to that. This wouldn't be their typical book cover dig though where they're totally on their own making the image/layout under the direction of author/publisher.

Last edited:

Trick

Auror
Thanks all for weighing in.

I have a connection with a local graphic artist and will work with him when the time comes.

My only issue with this cover (the one that stands out to me anyway) is that it's not fantasy enough. My current idea is to work with the knife and give it more of a fantasy look. I'll post the mockup when I get time to finish it.

Trick

Auror
Alright, here is my somewhat overwrought attempt to make this cover seem more fantasy-esque:

Thoughts?

attachment.php

Last edited:

Trick

Auror
As this work with the covers is a training, I can say you got a better result in the last attempt. :)
Keep training!

Thanks,

So far, this is all done in a free program but I recently got Photoshop and will transfer this in layer by layer to see what improvements I can make. I'm rusty with Photoshop so it'll take a little time. Any particular suggestions on this image? Overall design, impression, detail issues like lighting and angle, or ways to make the font pop?

I'm liking the glow effect less and less, it seems to blur the text a lot.

It doesn't help that this is a jpeg and the original file is of much higher quality.

Last edited:

Dani_Art

Dreamer
Thanks,

So far, this is all done in a free program but I recently got Photoshop and will transfer this in layer by layer to see wahat improvements I can make. I'm rusty with Photoshop so it'll take a little time. Any particular suggestions on this image? Overall design, impression, detail issues like lighting and angle, or ways to make the font pop?

I'm liking the glow effect less and less, it seems to blur the text a lot.

It doesn't help that this is a jpeg and the original file is of much higher quality.

I never did anything out of Photoshop, well, actually I use InDesign to finish the back cover, since Photoshop is not a text editor.
I'm not a big fan of effects, rather not use them. But if I have to use, it is in moderation. Some of them result in the blurry effect, everything depends on the background in which they are applied to. In the case here, as your cover has a solid bg color (black) I would not recommend using this glow effect, let it with no effect. Sometimes less is more.
Also, you don't have to leave the fonts on the edges, maybe reduce a little bit.

About overall lights, design, details, angle, what I can say is that every stage of your creation is a small progress, a personal victory. The more you do it the better you will get, but the truth is that you can not learn "by your own resources", you need to watch elements in real life, for example, if you have an object on the table and there is a source of light to the right, you have to analyze how the light hits your object, if the light is near or far, as the shadow is cast ... are many details to be considered.
You are being humble to ask and accept the critique, is a great start to being an artist (any kind of artist, writer, designer, actor...). Congrats!

You have a nice result on this cover, I liked.

Have a good training! :)

Trick

Auror
@Dani_Art

Thank you, I'll will take your advice into consideration and keep at this. I'll be posting the evolution of the cover (who knows, it could change 100% again, I'm just not sure).

Dani_Art

Dreamer
I'm no master at it, I'm just passing to you what I have to study and learn too.
You can find good tutorials on the internet that will help you! :)

Good night!

mt_jupiter

Dreamer
Cool knife design. The knife can get even bigger if you want, going just under the text or even going off the page. Sometimes it's more interesting to imagine what the whole form is than to actually see. A bathing suit can be sexier than the actual birthday suit.

Trick

Auror
Cool knife design. The knife can get even bigger if you want, going just under the text or even going off the page. Sometimes it's more interesting to imagine what the whole form is than to actually see. A bathing suit can be sexier than the actual birthday suit.

I see your point on that and, of course, now the knife seems a little small to me :confused2:

I haven't done that this time around but I'll try it out and see if I like it. This one has the text improved (hopefully) and various other small edits. I'm getting weary of the jpeg quality on here though. I need get a higher quality version up soon.

attachment.php

Trick

Auror
Alright, here is the cover with more fine tuning and below is a version with a larger blade. Not sure which is better.

Any Thoughts?

attachment.php

attachment.php