• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Descriptions

fete67

Dreamer
Recently I have been having trouble writing my battle scenes. Does anyone have any suggestions or like things i can read about sword fighting? Also i have been trouble describing how my main character disarms a trap.

I would say don't get bogged down in technical details and the individual movements. Combat happens fast and should not be slowed down for flowery descriptions.

TWErvin2

Auror
Recently I have been having trouble writing my battle scenes. Does anyone have any suggestions or like things i can read about sword fighting? Also i have been trouble describing how my main character disarms a trap.

First, it depends on the POV being used in the novel. First Person is different than Third Person Limited or Omniscient.

Are there any authors that you enjoy reading who have battle scenes similar to what you're hoping to write/accomplish? If so, read through them, but study how the authors managed it. Pacing, description, action, perspective, dialogue, movements, etc. See why/how it worked and then modify what you learned to your individual style of writing.

I'd recommend Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos novels, Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (1st three) and Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber. I could narrow it to more specifics as to why/what each books would offer, and even narrow to which specific books, but I am guessing you have your favorite authors/works that you'd prefer.

This was the way I learned how to write fantasy combat/battle scenes.

The Book of Swords by Hank Reinhardt might be a good place to start your research on swords and how they were used in combat. It doesn't really talk about much fencing moves or sword fighting in great detail, however, so I am not sure it's what you're looking for.

Hope this helps some.

Ravana

Istar
Basically, what they said–with the following caveat: if you are going to be detailed about something, make sure you know what you're talking about. The trap, for instance: I'm sure you could find any number of diagrams of different traps online, and methods of disarming (or otherwise circumventing) them… but unless you really want it as part of your story, and it has a reason to be there, I'd leave out not only the disarming but the trap as well.

Keep in mind the "otherwise circumventing" part, too–the easiest way to "disarm" most traps is by triggering them. And most varieties of trap can simply be avoided, once you're aware of their existence: it's finding out they're there in the first place that's the most important part.

As for "sword fighting," it depends not only on the PoV you're using, but also what you mean by "sword fighting." Are you talking one-on-one or battle scenes? Also, combat styles changed radically over the centuries as weapons, armor and metal technologies changed… and if you are talking mass combat, there's a good chance the primary weapon wasn't a sword anyway, for most of those involved.

To TWErvin2's list I would add the Black Company books by Glen Cook, particularly if it's battles you're interested in (and especially if you're also interested in how magic can alter normal expectations). The Silver Spike contains the best description I've seen anywhere of how an infantryman is supposed to use a spear; unfortunately, while the novel itself is essentially a one-off set in the same world as the rest of the series, it may not make as much sense (and certainly won't be as enjoyable) if you haven't read the first three books, so I'm not sure it's worth picking up just to get that description. (Which only means you should get all of them, as well as the sequels.… ;) )

Best of all–especially for one-on-one combat–practical experience trumps just about everything. If you aren't familiar with the Society for Creative Anachronism, look it up online (Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.); there's almost certainly a branch near you. Put on some metal armor, grab a shield, and get pounded with a rattan stick the same length and weight as a sword… you'll learn pretty quickly what actually works and what doesn't. (If you're not into bruises, just attend fight practices and watch others do the same.) To a lesser extent, they're good for getting a sense of mass combat, too… especially if you happen to have a week free in early August and can make it to western Pennsylvania. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hans

Sage
One battle description I remember as well done is from Thomas R.P. Mielke's renarration of Ludovico Ariosto's epos "Orlando Furioso". I haven't read the epos, so I can't say if it is Ariostos or Mielkes idea.
He wrote the battle scene by giving flashlights on individual fates. The very last moments of these with a short, one or two sentences, review on their lost hopes or promises they can no longer hold.
Later he goes back to his heroes, not in a very heroic style, more like "He rode through the streets of the conquered city chopping left and right. Man, woman, children he did not care." (Very free translation from my memory of the German text.)

In that novel it works. It gives a very dirty and unglorious view of the happenings on the battle field.

Eliazar

Scribe
I've done fencing and some martial arts, and it taught me a lot about how quick combat can be. My martial arts trainer (Indonesian Silat) is so fast, you don't even see what he's doing and I guess he could disable/kill you in 5 second if you're not trained to resist. I think concentrating on a few characters during a battle (with exceptional skill/luck) helps. I'm no expert in medieval combat, but I guess the actual fighting for most of the soldiers was rather short - one hit with a sword and I guess you are at least not really able to wield yours anymore. Add to this cavalry, bows, etc., and things go nasty pretty quick. Also, I guess it's more like running/moving through the army hacking your way towards a goal instead of one-on-one duels and then looking for the next opponent if you survive.

As for combat scenes, I even found Wikipedia descriptions of weapons pretty enlightening, and youtube videos may also a good way to visualize how fighting looks (not too sure how many there are on swordfighting and the like, but perhaps you can find some cool movie scenes).

Hans

Sage
As for combat scenes, I even found Wikipedia descriptions of weapons pretty enlightening, and youtube videos may also a good way to visualize how fighting looks (not too sure how many there are on swordfighting and the like, but perhaps you can find some cool movie scenes).
Don't expect movie scenes to be realistic.
On battlefields from antiquity to the 16th century pole weapons were the dominating weapons. Swords are great duel weapons, but their usefulness degrades fast when it comes to formation fighting. But swords are much more flashy in any situations where looks is a concern. Like in movies.

Eliazar

Scribe
Don't expect movie scenes to be realistic.
On battlefields from antiquity to the 16th century pole weapons were the dominating weapons. Swords are great duel weapons, but their usefulness degrades fast when it comes to formation fighting. But swords are much more flashy in any situations where looks is a concern. Like in movies.

True enough, but movie scenes are exciting, so they might help to create an exciting battle scene for a fantasy novel :) If they're all just poking away with polearms, there's not much to do for heroic characters.